Modern Photoshop Color Workflow book shippping

George Machen

$75 on Amazon - yow! http://amzn.to/10rViM7

{moderator insert} I'm not sure what this is all about yet. I can tell you that I have received books, but I was unaware that anyone was offering them for sale yet or what prices they might be charging. More later when I have more information--DM {/moderator insert}

letstryit_19087

I was able to order it from Amazon. Delivery is Monday 3/25.

--
Bill
484-580-9341

Nothing exists but atoms and empty space. Everything else is opinion.

Sterling Ledet

The original intent was to have a list price of $75 and a discount price of $10 less than that. making the actual sale price $64.95.

This is the first day it's available for order and we are still figuring out how to work with the Fulfilled by Amazon system.

George and Bill, if you've bought at $75, email me directly, and I'll provide a $10 Amazon gift card to reimburse you for the extra $10. Dan and I both appreciate you and this entire group tremendously and we weren't intentionally trying to punish early purchases.

It's just that as of today, we are still working out some glitches. Looks like the sale price of $64.95 is now active (although it's not reflected as a sale price, but just as if that was the list price of the book). I still haven't figured out to make it list on Amazon as a Fulfilled by Amazon book at a list price of $74.95 with a $10 discount. That's what we are hoping to eventually have in place. If anyone here happens to have ever done that and can help provide feedback, please contact me off list at at sjledet@ledet.com.

I am also happy to discuss and get feedback on what people think we should be charging considering it's not just a book, but actually a book plus a ton of video content.

- Sterling

--- In colortheory@yahoogroups.com, "George Machen" <gmachen@...> wrote:

$75 on Amazon - yow! http://amzn.to/10rViM7

{moderator insert} I'm not sure what this is all about yet. I can tell you that I have received books, but I was unaware that anyone was offering them for sale yet or what prices they might be charging. More later when I have more information--DM {/moderator insert}

Jim Donovan

Hello. Is the book available through Barnes-n-Noble? Jim Donovan

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM, sjledet <sjledet@ledet.com> wrote:

**

The original intent was to have a list price of $75 and a discount price
of $10 less than that. making the actual sale price $64.95.

This is the first day it's available for order and we are still figuring
out how to work with the Fulfilled by Amazon system.

Michael King

Sterling,

Let's not worry about the price - just about how are those of us NOT in the
USA going to get a copy?

How can I get one in UK?

Many Txs,

Mike King

On 22 March 2013 20:36, sjledet <sjledet@ledet.com> wrote:

**

[...]

Campo Weijerman

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM, sjledet <sjledet@ledet.com> wrote:

The original intent was to have a list price of $75 and a discount price
of $10 less than that. making the actual sale price $64.95.

This is the first day it's available for order and we are still figuring
out how to work with the Fulfilled by Amazon system.
Sterling, thanks for the information. Could you please also give a hint
about the best way to order copies of the book for those not in the US.
For example, I'm in The Netherlands, and I'd usually expect quick delivery
(i.e, within days) through amazon.co.uk. Right now they don't offer the
title yet, if it is going to take them weeks to have it in stock I might be
better of ordering directly from the US.
Thanks,
--
Campo Weijerman

Kevin Stecyk

Sterling wrote on Friday, March 22, 2013

The original intent was to have a list price of $75 and a discount price of $10 less than that. making the actual sale price $64.95.

This is the first day it's available for order and we are still figuring out how to work with the Fulfilled by Amazon system.
Will Dan's book be available at Amazon in international locations? For example, when I search for "Modern Photoshop Color Workflow - The Quartertone Quandary, the PPW, and Other Ideas for Speedy Image Enhancement" at Amazon.ca, it comes back blank.

Or, should we simply place our orders through Amazon.com to be fulfilled by Modern Color Workflow? Sometimes books from Amazon.com and its sellers are not shipped to Canada. Are there any concerns with foreign shipments?

Kevin H. Stecyk

David Lawrence

--- In colortheory@yahoogroups.com, "sjledet" <sjledet@...> wrote:

The original intent was to have a list price of $75 and a discount price of $10 less than that. making the actual sale price $64.95.

- Sterling

Thank you! All it well and I was able to purchase on Amazon at $64.95.

David Lawrence
PixelPurfect.com

Dan Margulis

To add a little perspective to the conversation:

These books were supposed to be out two weeks ago. I attended a pressrun about a month ago. There was, how shall I put this, a color management issue. I am not going to burden the group with the gory details, except to refer to some of my archived posts discussing the level of color management knowledge among commercial printers, and also of what happens when printers run a color-critical job that does not happen to match their own contract proofs.

At any rate, I did not jinx things by attending the second pressrun, which was late last week. The books shipped Friday and I was somewhat surprised that they made it to my house by Tuesday. I told the beta readers that I had them but I didn't want to notify the list before I could assure myself that they were acceptably printed. They are.

I am not taking a lead role in the marketing of the product. I'm not qualified to do so and would probably make bad decisions anyway. Certainly one can expect a number of glitches as we get accustomed to the ways of amazon.com.

I don't know the answer about international shipping or what amazon's policy is going to be. I don't believe it will be carried by Barnes & Noble. We took the view that the priority was to get the books out there even if there is a single source, and we also don't know what the eventual price will be. Sterling is interested in your feedback on this.

The full version 3 of the PPW panel has already been posted at www.ledet.com/margulis/ppw. All of the documentation has been revised to accord with the new capabilities, I think there is around 200 pages of documentation total.

The book's official website, moderncolorworkflow.com, should go live on Monday morning (right now you'll just get a password request). I think you'll find a lot to like there: around 10 hours of videos supporting the text, for example. They won't do a lot of good, however, without the book itself.

The site will also make available PDFs of the Table of Contents, the Introduction, and the Index. That may sound rather boring, but in fact the Introduction has some fireworks: by demand of the beta readers I included six sample corrections to give an idea of what the workflow does. You get to read their reactions to each, and some of them are not particularly flattering to the author.

Anyhow, I'm sure we'll be talking more about this in the next few days.

Dan Margulis

Kevin Stecyk

Dan Margulis wrote:

I don't know the answer about international shipping or what amazon's policy is going to be. I don't believe it will be carried by Barnes & Noble. We took the view that the priority was to get the books out there even if there is a single source, and we also don't know what the eventual price will be. Sterling is interested in your feedback on this.
First, congratulations are in order Dan, to you and your team. I look forward to ordering your book soon.

With regard to Amazon, I will provide some quick feedback. I like ordering from Amazon Canada. When the purchase price is over $25.00, I get free shipping by United Parcel Service (UPS). The Goods and Services Tax (GST) is already paid as part of the final price of the book. I have yet to receive a book that is damaged or banged up by UPS. My typical wait time between order and delivery is two days.

If I order from Amazon U.S., then it is more challenging. First, shipping time is often about two plus weeks. Then, rather than having the book delivered to my doorstep, I sometimes have to visit the local post office to pay the GST. Not only do I have to pay the tax, I have to pay for the privilege of paying the tax (read service fee). If the book is inexpensive, the GST is usually skipped. If the book(s) is expensive, I pay GST. And, sometimes to corners of the book are banged up from shipping. I like receiving my books in pristine condition.

Typically, Amazon doesn't restrict the shipping. The "reseller" or the agent fulfilling the order places restrictions. I have ordered a book from the U.S. that cost $400. The book seller was fine with shipping it to Canada. Some others through Amazon were unwilling to sell the same book to me. It's hit and miss.

In the past, I have to ship the book to a friend in the U.S. and have the friend to then ship it to me.

I wanted to congratulate you and your team. And, I wanted to provide some comments for your marketing considerations.

Kevin H. Stecyk

Robert Carroll

I see the ad is up at Amazon---$64.95. So Dan, what is the guy smoking in
the picture on the cover?

Bob Carroll

[...]

munkiboy

Well I feel sad and a bit hurt that I can't buy the book here in the UK, but I had a sinking feeling that this would happen a while back.

The ebook version of Pro photoshop book didn't become available in the UK until about 2010/11 even though it was available in USA for years before that. I am not looking forward to Amazon's policy about this new book.

In my previous experience attempting to order a book on Amazon.com for shipping to UK, where the book isn't listed on amazon.co.uk results in a refusal and a statement that it isn't available in "certain other countries".

Someone is going to have to push the book into international markets or it just won't happen for a long time.

I am having a sulk here, I'll try to cheer up enough to download the new PPW panel but I won't enjoy it while you're all partying away over there with your American chums, waving your new Dan Margulis books around and shooting your guns in the air and going Yee-haa!

It's hard to do colour correction with tears in your eyes...

-andy blundell

I don't know the answer about international shipping or what amazon's policy is going to be. I don't believe it will be carried by Barnes & Noble. We took the view that the priority was to get the books out there even if there is a single source, and we also don't know what the eventual price will be. Sterling is interested in your feedback on this.
Anyhow, I'm sure we'll be talking more about this in the next few days.

Dan Margulis

Douglas K. Jardine

Seeing this inthe colortheory thread, I went to buy it (at $64.95USD)
but Amazon tells me it won't ship to my post office box address in a
small rural town in Canada.

This is strange for both AmazonDOTca and AmazonDOTcom have shipped lots
of stuff to my PO Box address--there is no mail delivery to my condo;
mail is either to mail drops on the highway or to boxat the post office.

Please let me know what the work around is.

TIA for your advice.

Doug

On 22/03/2013 1:36 PM, sjledet wrote:

[...]

<mailto:sjledet%40ledet.com>.

<mailto:colortheory%40yahoogroups.com>, "George Machen" <gmachen@...>
wrote:

$75 on Amazon - yow! http://amzn.to/10rViM7

{moderator insert} I'm not sure what this is all about yet. I can
tell you that I have received books, but I was unaware that anyone was
offering them for sale yet or what prices they might be charging. More
later when I have more information--DM {/moderator insert}

Rick Gordon

I can't help but wonder if that price point isn't going to reduce the income below what it would be for other similar books in the genre. I know *we'll* all buy it, but I think that it's not going to draw the audience that might not be specifically be salivating for Dan's next book.

Rick Gordon

------------------

On 3/22/13 at 8:36 PM +0000, sjledet wrote in a message entitled
"[colortheory] Re: Modern Photoshop Color Workflow book ship":

[...]

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING

WWW: http://www.shelterpub.com

Hector Davila

I don't understand why anyone in the world cannot buy it today.
Here in the U.S. there is USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Box

All Dan has to do is put up an Ebay page, and accept international
orders where you pay the USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Box
shipping charge.
http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10150&m=13&p=0&o=1&mt=12

Hector
APR

and when you finish reading it, you can sell it on ebay for thousands of
dollars!

On 3/22/2013 3:12 PM, munkiboy wrote:

[...]

To our international friends,

I want to assure you it won't be years before the book is available internationally. The problem for today (literally, today, March 22, 2013) is that Amazon hasn't even received all of the inventory in their warehouses. Only one of the three Amazon warehouses scheduled to receive inventory has received books so far, and while Dan has received his personal shipment, I've not received my allotment.

I am hoping my 250 copies come in to Atlanta by Monday. Once I receive them, I'll sell anyone who wants a book internationally one of those. We'll probably use Global Priority Mail and an s&h charge of $30 (so the total will be $94.95 US) and require payment through paypal.

I'll have to batch this though, and we aren't Amazon and I have a business to run, so I won't be offering same day turnaround on orders like Amazon. I'll do something like weekly shipments. Can't even promise which day of the week that will be though until I get our shipment of books at the Ledet Training headquarters in Atlanta.

However, if you don't mind being a little patient with us, eventually (best guess currently is within 30 days, but don't hold me to that either), we'll be fully enabled for international fulfillment using Amazon's "Fulfilled by Amazon" program. That will be our preferred way of handling international sales. It just takes a little while to setup and requires additional paperwork by us and additional approval cycles by Amazon. It's coming though. Just not first day!

- Sterling

Gerry Diel

As a photographer I think that all should just relax and wait patiently for the right moment. In a good light. Then the magic begins.

[...]

It's just that as of today, we are still working out some glitches. Looks like the sale price of $64.95 is now active (although it's not reflected as a sale price, but just as if that was the list price of the book). I still haven't figured out to make it list on Amazon as a Fulfilled by Amazon book at a list price of $74.95 with a $10 discount. That's what we are hoping to eventually have in place. If anyone here happens to have ever done that and can help provide feedback, please contact me off list at at mailto:sjledet%40ledet.com.

--- In mailto:colortheory%40yahoogroups.com, "George Machen" <gmachen@...> wrote:

$75 on Amazon - yow! http://amzn.to/10rViM7

{moderator insert} I'm not sure what this is all about yet. I can tell you that I have received books, but I was unaware that anyone was offering them for sale yet or what prices they might be charging. More later when I have more information--DM {/moderator insert}

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING

Henry Davis

LOL.

Henry

On Mar 22, 2013, at 6:35 PM, Dan Margulis wrote:
<Snip>
To add a little perspective to the conversation:

These books were supposed to be out two weeks ago. I attended a pressrun about a month ago. There was, how shall I put this, a color management issue.

George Machen

I sure hope that the password sheet dialog that comes down on the Modern Color Workflow website will be able to remember the password and not make us type-in the registration every time. Or store it in a cookie or in the Mac Keychain. If not, will the webmaster please consider instead a regular home page that opens with name & password text fields that will allow these mechanisms to work?

George Machen

tropevp

Dan,

Congratulations on your book. I ordered two, one to read and one for you to sign, if and when you come to Chicago.

Would you please elaborate on the companion web site?

Thank you again,

Ted Moon