Topics

3D LUT Creator

Dan Derousie

I just bought this software and have been playing with it. I wondered whether or not anyone else in this group uses it, and if so for what.
--
Dan Derousie

Daniele Di Stanio

Not that specific software, but I used Ps to create LUTs to build Lr/ACR profiles (not presets).

Pretty much useless to me, as the Lr/ACR tools' behaviour still refers to the original file, but it can be interesting in theory if you need to "extend" them (a certain color's saturation, for example).

I understand the appeal for videos' workflows, where things can be pretty complex and slow, but for images seems overkill and badly supported/integrated.

Daniele Di Stanio
fabbricacinema.com, Founder / CdA

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 6:46 PM Dan Derousie <dan.derousie@...> wrote:
I just bought this software and have been playing with it. I wondered whether or not anyone else in this group uses it, and if so for what.
--
Dan Derousie

Dan Derousie

Amen to your comment about support & integration. I don’t use it for LUTs but it is great for changing colors in an image once you understand the mechanics. I’ve had some success tuning the colors to control B&W conversions.

[...]

Hector Davila

I never heard of it.

It looks like somebody took the Curves tool and turned it into a spiderweb.

Hector Davila

On 12/4/2020 9:46 AM, Dan Derousie wrote:
I just bought this software and have been playing with it. I wondered whether or not anyone else in this group uses it, and if so for what.
--
Dan Derousie
_._,_._,_

Bruce Jamieson

I’ve never had any use for LUTs in Photoshop, but once I did encounter a novel use of them, and one I would never endorse.

A client of ours had been working with a retoucher to change the color of their product to match a number of different color finishes. So, one base file, but multiple color outcomes. This was done with a separate LUT for each finish. As far as I’m aware, Photoshop itself won’t let you bust open a LUT and make those tweaks in that space. This made it so the client, or anyone else, had no ability to make a small tweak if needed, making those LUTs proprietary, in a sense.

I had explored how I could use Photoshop to create a LUT but for a production workflow it was less controllable and slow. I am still curious if anyone does use this in a productive way.

The client grew frustrated with these LUT infested files and dumped their previous retoucher.

Cheers,
Bruce Jamieson

Daniele Di Stanio

Hector, actually that is becoming the norm in professional color apps (that are not from Adobe's).

If you want to check out a professional color application (for movies):

you can see the difference in exposition, terminology, depth, tools, and more compared to what we deal with (that being Ps, Lr, C1...).

Also, a free app.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 7:36 PM Hector Davila <amerphoto@...> wrote:
I never heard of it.

It looks like somebody took the Curves tool and turned it into a spiderweb.

Hector Davila

On 12/4/2020 9:46 AM, Dan Derousie wrote:
I just bought this software and have been playing with it. I wondered whether or not anyone else in this group uses it, and if so for what.
--
Dan Derousie

Dan Derousie

Actually Hector, your description is probably overly kind. The UI is a problem for sure and there is a steep learning curve. But it is powerful depending on what you want to do. I am hoping that someone in this group has figured out what to use it for, and how, and will share some tips!

Dan

It looks like somebody took the Curves tool and turned it into a spiderweb.

Hector Davila

On 12/4/2020 9:46 AM, Dan Derousie wrote:

I just bought this software and have been playing with it. I wondered whether or not anyone else in this group uses it, and if so for what.
--
Dan Derousie

--
Dan Derousie

Massimo Calvani

The British photographer Glyn Dewiss
uses LUTs in his post production to add mood and atmosphere in his images.
Here is a video
Massimo Calvani

--
💫