Date   

Re: Autographing question

LayerActionBoy
 

Your life is too short. Skip autographs if the situation causes problems for you, or if time the cover. But hassles deserve no time.

John Robinson

On Jan 14, 2020, at 4:53 PM, Dan Margulis via Groups.Io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Printing is going well, but slowly. Definitely better than the opposite problem, but causing a scheduling difficulty because my planned departure time is before the books will now be bound.

Coming back would involve a detour of several hours. I may have to do it anyway, in which case I could autograph books then. Decision to be made late tomorrow, but I need advice now.
If I don’t return, the choices are:

1) Subject to the approval of the bindery manager, who will probably have a fit at the suggestion, I could take the folded first signature and aign all the front pages. No personalized message, but everybody would get an autographed copy.

2) Instead of signing the front page, sign the inside front cover, which is slated to be off press by the time I leave. I am given to understand that these could be numbered so that an individualized message would be possible. I have never heard of the practice of signing the inside cover but can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

3) Forget the entire autographing mishegas and just ship the books unsigned, with appropriate apologies.

Ideas welcome, especially anybody who can think of why #2 isn’t a good idea.

Dan Margulis


Re: Autographing question

George Machen
 

Dan, I believe you indicated in an earlier post more or less that when you get back from your travels, you could sign some books then. Accordingly, I had entered into my order form:

Comments and Notes (Autograph requests, accolades, criticism, etc.)
Do not ship UNLESS & until it is autographed. I'm in no hurry and can wait weeks or months after payment.
I still would prefer a signature on the customary front page, even without a personalized message (which, while would be nice, I wasn't expecting, anyway). I'm not going to be in a position to start reading in earnest for at least a month, so a long delay doesn't matter to me.


Re: Autographing question

Thomas Hurd,MD
 

2

On Jan 14, 2020, at 5:53 PM, Dan Margulis via Groups.Io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Printing is going well, but slowly. Definitely better than the opposite problem, but causing a scheduling difficulty because my planned departure time is before the books will now be bound.

Coming back would involve a detour of several hours. I may have to do it anyway, in which case I could autograph books then. Decision to be made late tomorrow, but I need advice now.
If I don’t return, the choices are:

1) Subject to the approval of the bindery manager, who will probably have a fit at the suggestion, I could take the folded first signature and aign all the front pages. No personalized message, but everybody would get an autographed copy.

2) Instead of signing the front page, sign the inside front cover, which is slated to be off press by the time I leave. I am given to understand that these could be numbered so that an individualized message would be possible. I have never heard of the practice of signing the inside cover but can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

3) Forget the entire autographing mishegas and just ship the books unsigned, with appropriate apologies.

Ideas welcome, especially anybody who can think of why #2 isn’t a good idea.

Dan Margulis


Re: Autographing question

Kevin Stecyk
 

Dan, please do whatever is easiest for and makes most sense to you. 

I am completely fine with options one through three.

While not providing any advice, I am letting you know that whatever decision you arrive at is fine with me.

I hope the printing process continues to go well, and I wish you safe travels.

Kevin Stecyk


Autographing question

Dan Margulis
 

Printing is going well, but slowly. Definitely better than the opposite problem, but causing a scheduling difficulty because my planned departure time is before the books will now be bound.

Coming back would involve a detour of several hours. I may have to do it anyway, in which case I could autograph books then. Decision to be made late tomorrow, but I need advice now.
If I don’t return, the choices are:

1) Subject to the approval of the bindery manager, who will probably have a fit at the suggestion, I could take the folded first signature and aign all the front pages. No personalized message, but everybody would get an autographed copy.

2) Instead of signing the front page, sign the inside front cover, which is slated to be off press by the time I leave. I am given to understand that these could be numbered so that an individualized message would be possible. I have never heard of the practice of signing the inside cover but can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

3) Forget the entire autographing mishegas and just ship the books unsigned, with appropriate apologies.

Ideas welcome, especially anybody who can think of why #2 isn’t a good idea.

Dan Margulis


Re: All Preorders received have been invoiced

Robert Emory
 

I sent an email and have not heard back.
Email had order attached (I hope!)
R Emory

Barnstead, NH



From: "Sterling Ledet" <sjledet@...>
To: colortheory@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:53:01 AM
Subject: [colortheory] All Preorders received have been invoiced

If you’ve place a pre-order for Simultaneous Color and have not yet received an invoice, please email me at sales@... ASAP.

 

 

 

-          Sterling

 

 

 

From: <colortheory@groups.io> on behalf of "Rick Lush via Groups.Io" <ricklush@...>
Reply-To: "colortheory@groups.io" <colortheory@groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 8:54 AM
To: "colortheory@groups.io" <colortheory@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [colortheory] Heads up re ordering Chevreul book

 

For those of us who have sent in the order form but have not as yet been invoiced is there any news?

 



Re: Heads up re ordering Chevreul book

Adrian Thompson
 

I would love one but I hoping it will become available in Europe so the postage will be less!

Adrian


On 14 Jan 2020, at 13:40, Dan Margulis via Groups.Io <dmargulis@...> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 06:51 AM, Dan Margulis wrote:
As can be seen from the posting time Sterling has been up most of the night finalizing this form. When I woke up he had sent it to me for an OK when I woke up. As we all know, the devil never sleeps, but I believe that Sterling does, so I’ve made an executive decision. In view of the extreme shortness of time I will refrain from turning it into a work of art and have now posted it to our files section, direct link
 
To reiterate some of the points:
 
*The thread in which so many members announced that they intended to buy, and sometimes buy multiple copies—that was advisory only. To actually get the book through this process you need to fill out the interactive PDF and fax or e-mail it per the instructions. And, because the pressrun starts Monday, we need this right away—not later than Tuesday for the new book
Greetings to all from the pressroom, located in the great Pacific Northwest. Production started yesterday and is progressing slower than I would like but the quality is good. I don't have a prognosis yet on when books will ship or whether I will be able to autograph them, but I want to remind everyone that today is the deadline for placing an order to be shipped from here. The balance of the books will be shipped to Atlanta first, so there will be a significant delay before they become available again.

We had some warning that there would be a big response from an earlier thread, but still I am very surprised--pleasantly, of course--by the large number of pre-orders. On the one hand this is a book somewhat outside of my normal field, which suggests that it might have very few sales, but on the other my normal audience is limited to people who know Photoshop fairly well, whereas this one could appeal to anyone who is interested in color, whether or not they can use a computer. I know feel somewhat ruefully that the second factor is more important and that we should have ordered more. Time will tell.

Dan Margulis
 
 


Re: Observations on how it's going to be

Stephen Marsh
 
Edited

I just stumbled over this link and thought of this topic:

https://theblog.adobe.com/introducing-adobe-photoshop-camera/


Re: Heads up re ordering Chevreul book

Dan Margulis
 


On Jan 14, 2020, at 5:54 AM, Rick Lush <ricklush@...> wrote:

For those of us who have sent in the order form but have not as yet been invoiced is there any news?

No, same as before, invoices typically take 48 hours to appear after the form is submitted, possibly more depending on whether the order arrived during business hours in the eastern U.S.

Dan Margulis


All Preorders received have been invoiced

Sterling Ledet
 

If you’ve place a pre-order for Simultaneous Color and have not yet received an invoice, please email me at sales@... ASAP.

 

 

 

-          Sterling

 

 

 

From: <colortheory@groups.io> on behalf of "Rick Lush via Groups.Io" <ricklush@...>
Reply-To: "colortheory@groups.io" <colortheory@groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 8:54 AM
To: "colortheory@groups.io" <colortheory@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [colortheory] Heads up re ordering Chevreul book

 

For those of us who have sent in the order form but have not as yet been invoiced is there any news?

 


Re: Heads up re ordering Chevreul book

Rick Lush
 

For those of us who have sent in the order form but have not as yet been invoiced is there any news?


On Wed, 15 Jan. 2020, 12:40 am Dan Margulis via Groups.Io, <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 06:51 AM, Dan Margulis wrote:
As can be seen from the posting time Sterling has been up most of the night finalizing this form. When I woke up he had sent it to me for an OK when I woke up. As we all know, the devil never sleeps, but I believe that Sterling does, so I’ve made an executive decision. In view of the extreme shortness of time I will refrain from turning it into a work of art and have now posted it to our files section, direct link
 
To reiterate some of the points:
 
*The thread in which so many members announced that they intended to buy, and sometimes buy multiple copies—that was advisory only. To actually get the book through this process you need to fill out the interactive PDF and fax or e-mail it per the instructions. And, because the pressrun starts Monday, we need this right away—not later than Tuesday for the new book
Greetings to all from the pressroom, located in the great Pacific Northwest. Production started yesterday and is progressing slower than I would like but the quality is good. I don't have a prognosis yet on when books will ship or whether I will be able to autograph them, but I want to remind everyone that today is the deadline for placing an order to be shipped from here. The balance of the books will be shipped to Atlanta first, so there will be a significant delay before they become available again.

We had some warning that there would be a big response from an earlier thread, but still I am very surprised--pleasantly, of course--by the large number of pre-orders. On the one hand this is a book somewhat outside of my normal field, which suggests that it might have very few sales, but on the other my normal audience is limited to people who know Photoshop fairly well, whereas this one could appeal to anyone who is interested in color, whether or not they can use a computer. I know feel somewhat ruefully that the second factor is more important and that we should have ordered more. Time will tell.

Dan Margulis
 
 


Re: Heads up re ordering Chevreul book

Dan Margulis
 

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 06:51 AM, Dan Margulis wrote:
As can be seen from the posting time Sterling has been up most of the night finalizing this form. When I woke up he had sent it to me for an OK when I woke up. As we all know, the devil never sleeps, but I believe that Sterling does, so I’ve made an executive decision. In view of the extreme shortness of time I will refrain from turning it into a work of art and have now posted it to our files section, direct link
 
To reiterate some of the points:
 
*The thread in which so many members announced that they intended to buy, and sometimes buy multiple copies—that was advisory only. To actually get the book through this process you need to fill out the interactive PDF and fax or e-mail it per the instructions. And, because the pressrun starts Monday, we need this right away—not later than Tuesday for the new book
Greetings to all from the pressroom, located in the great Pacific Northwest. Production started yesterday and is progressing slower than I would like but the quality is good. I don't have a prognosis yet on when books will ship or whether I will be able to autograph them, but I want to remind everyone that today is the deadline for placing an order to be shipped from here. The balance of the books will be shipped to Atlanta first, so there will be a significant delay before they become available again.

We had some warning that there would be a big response from an earlier thread, but still I am very surprised--pleasantly, of course--by the large number of pre-orders. On the one hand this is a book somewhat outside of my normal field, which suggests that it might have very few sales, but on the other my normal audience is limited to people who know Photoshop fairly well, whereas this one could appeal to anyone who is interested in color, whether or not they can use a computer. I know feel somewhat ruefully that the second factor is more important and that we should have ordered more. Time will tell.

Dan Margulis
 
 


Re: Free WordPress Theme for Photographers

Alec Dann
 

Thanks, Alan.  I'll take a look.  I've been using Zenfolio for several years but it feels cramped.

I've built a site on Squarespace and I'm currently managing a photography gallery/education website in Wordpress, so I'm not afraid of publishing technology.  I'm just looking for more freedom.

Alec


Re: New version of MMM Finetuned

Beat C
 

> Dan wrote :
>I write to point out an underappreciated PPW panel feature, aimed at precisely these people who, like Beat, are willing to take the extra time to look at different MMM versions. 
> Option-clicking the MMM (most sophisticated) or the MMM+CB buttons brings up a dialog that allows trials of up to five selections and permits the user to toggle back and forth 
> between them to find which result is preferable.

This is indeed a great option - that is if you are not pressed, like I am. I use it often, and although I start to be able to predict results a bit, it sometimes takes me by surprise.
So, two selections for MMM+CB and one or two MMM extended selections gives me a wide range of options. 
Here I can also apply Dan’s maybe ‘creative trick’ : making a composite of a couple of more or less quick versions. The same might apply to MMM in a smaller scale. Make 2 versions of different selections with MMM. Copy the second version (the whole group) into the doc with the first version. Maybe I need to mention, that when I leave RGB and go to Lab, by means of the MMM+CB action in the palet, I always choose for the option of a duplicate document, so I get to go to a new Lab doc, with the MMM+CB group on top of my flattened RGB file. Then I can do one or two MMM extended versions with different selections and the make a composite from these MMM+CB and MMM extended groups.

What I sometimes find hard is to know when to stop. To balance time put into one version versus time for making another version and make a composite. It is hard to stop when I see still room to move or to experiment

For compositing, I separate the layers before sharpening from the sharpening itself. So going to make a Composite from two versions A + B will get me 4 layers :
1. Stamp from A no sharpening
2. Stamp from A only sharpening
3. Stamp from B no sharpening
4. Stamp from B only sharpening

> Option-clicking the MMM (most sophisticated) or the MMM+CB buttons brings up a dialog that allows trials of up to five selections and permits the user to toggle back and forth 

This I cannot pull off. The max of selections I seem to be able to make is 2. I have only two radio buttons. Does it mean, that when I make selection 3, it replaces selection 1 (or 2). Or should there appear more radio buttons, as I make more selections? I have not pursued this into depth, as I only seem to remember  this when I am actually really at work and then I don’t want to break the flow. I hope to remember to look into this a bit deeper. 

Beat


Re: Free WordPress Theme for Photographers

allan.konopka@...
 

Alec,
If you are subscribing to Adobe CC ....
I just started experimenting with both Adobe Spark and also Adobe Portfolio.
Spark produces a single-page webpage that can be scrolled through on desktop or tablet. It offers possibility for a couple of interesting transitions, and attaching associated text. However, the project I did with it involved about 100 photographs, and I realized after the fact that this is probably too much for a single project, as not possible to navigate through in anything but a linear fashion

Adobe Portfolio allows some simple navigation via buttons and menu items. There are about 6 'canned' themes you can choose from. You can set up a 'gallery' page which contains a set of pages that more-or-less act like moving from room to room within a physical gallery.

Both are very constrained in what one can do (virtue is no need to know coding, obvious shortcoming is some things you might like just can't be implemented). A nice feature is how easily one can import images from Lightroom CC.

If you are interested, here are links to the projects I have done with each

https://spark.adobe.com/page/JA1kkj9jrI5ig/

https://akonopka.myportfolio.com/

Best regards,
Allan Konopka


Re: New version of MMM Finetuned

Dan Margulis
 


On Jan 9, 2020, at 4:31 PM, Beat C <b.cornaz@...> wrote:

I find the MMM Finetuned of Gerald Bakker a very nice addition to the panel as well. I always use the MMM and then see if MMM Fine-tuned  brings something extra or something better. Most of the times I run the MMM Finetuned  twice, with different selections and make a blend of MMM and the two MMM Finetuned groups.

I appreciate your sharing this action, Gerald.

First of all let’s concede that not everybody has the time for more than one experiment with an MMM action. OTOH for important images trying out two or more settings can really help, because even very experienced users have a hard time predicting what the exact effect of a given selection is going to be, or even whether MMM finetuned is going to give a preferable result to one of the original PPW actions.

I write to point out an underappreciated PPW panel feature, aimed at precisely these people who, like Beat, are willing to take the extra time to look at different MMM versions. Option-clicking the MMM (most sophisticated) or the MMM+CB buttons brings up a dialog that allows trials of up to five selections and permits the user to toggle back and forth between them to find which result is preferable.

Dan Margulis


Re: News on Chevreul Order Status

Rex Waygood
 

That piece of information came after I paid and my PayPal address omits that my postal address is the UK


Re: News on Chevreul Order Status

Dan Margulis
 

Further to what I said below:

Invoices are going out and payments are coming in. For those using Paypal, please note that they will let you enter your shipping address. This will allow us to generate labels in a more efficient and reliable way. So we request that you do fill these fields out.


On Jan 11, 2020, at 7:34 AM, Dan Margulis via Groups.Io <dmargulis@...> wrote:

Orders have been coming in fast, which is no problem for the Chevreul book, but we did not anticipate that so many people wanted copies of MPCW. There is no way I can bring that many copies to the pressrun. Sterling has kindly agreed to honor the MPCW orders by shipping them separately from Atlanta. This, however, can only be done to addresses in the U.S., since elsewhere the cost of shipping is higher than that of the book.

Therefore: 

1) international clients GA, FB, BC, MH, SM, KS: we confirm you have ordered MPCW as well as the Chevreul book and we will have copies on site for you so that it can be included in the Chevreul package.

2) Henceforth orders for MPCW must ship only to the United States unless you indicate you are willing to pay a second shipping charge. Orders for the Chevreul book are still open for international shipping.

3) If you have ordered MPCW shipped to the United States, in all probability it is going to come as a separate shipment from Atlanta. Alas, it won't be autographed, but I will autograph, circumstances permitting, all the Chevreul books where the client has requested it.

4) Because of the volume, please hold off on requests for order confirmation. Wait for an invoice, and if it hasn't ahown up within 48 hours of your order, then contact us.

Dan Margulis
_._,_._,_


Re: Order form

Rex Waygood
 

That is what I did, easy-peasy :-)
Rex 


Re: News on Chevreul Order Status

Dan Margulis
 

Orders have been coming in fast, which is no problem for the Chevreul book, but we did not anticipate that so many people wanted copies of MPCW. There is no way I can bring that many copies to the pressrun. Sterling has kindly agreed to honor the MPCW orders by shipping them separately from Atlanta. This, however, can only be done to addresses in the U.S., since elsewhere the cost of shipping is higher than that of the book.

Therefore:

1) international clients GA, FB, BC, MH, SM, KS: we confirm you have ordered MPCW as well as the Chevreul book and we will have copies on site for you so that it can be included in the Chevreul package.

2) Henceforth orders for MPCW must ship only to the United States unless you indicate you are willing to pay a second shipping charge. Orders for the Chevreul book are still open for international shipping.

3) If you have ordered MPCW shipped to the United States, in all probability it is going to come as a separate shipment from Atlanta. Alas, it won't be autographed, but I will autograph, circumstances permitting, all the Chevreul books where the client has requested it.

4) Because of the volume, please hold off on requests for order confirmation. Wait for an invoice, and if it hasn't ahown up within 48 hours of your order, then contact us.

Dan Margulis

1661 - 1680 of 33174