Dan's "Black Hole" image

Ron Bean <rbean@...>

I finally got a chance to see the digital photo of the "black
hole" that appears in Professional Photoshop 6. Interestingly,
the "before" version did *not* print as solid black-- if I hold
the book at an angle to the light (to avoid glare), I can
actually see most of the detail that shows up in the "after"
version. It's very dark, but it's there.

Could the original have been improved by using a longer exposure?
(And maybe a tripod to keep the camera steady?)

I'd like to see reviews of digital cameras (either in print or on
the web) that use images as challenging as this one.