From: Clare [mailto:clare@typeshop.co.nz]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 1:14 PM
To: colortheory@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [colortheory] pixelated prints from film cameras

Is it possible for a photo lab to somehow process negatives from a roll of
film and print them digitally? I have received some prints (from a client)
on normal photo paper which look grainy to the naked eye and when viewed
under a glass are badly pixelated, impressionistic looking. I have had good
prints on the same paper.
Could a person take a roll of film to be developed expecting sharp prints
and end up with pixelated prints? They are not too bad as snapshots but when
scanned are vastly inferior to regular prints and are hopeless to enlarge.
If this is possible, what should be said to the photo lab (or drugstore or
wherever) when dropping film off to ensure you do not get these bad prints.
Thanks for any feedback.

Clare Strange
TypeShop Ltd
Christchurch