Re: Scanning old photos with faded dyes

Hector Davila

You are lucky to have
low-resolution scans of these same photos
with good color balance.

But imagine if you didn't.

Then you would have to
color correct without
knowing what the other
same photo with
good color balance
looks like.

It would make a good contest photo.

See who comes closer
to the original photo
good color balance
without looking at it.

You would have to read ALL of
Dan Margulis books to win the contest.

Hector Davila

On 1/12/2022 1:35 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Hi. New member, new topic, but perhaps familiar to many of you.

I have some old photos whose dyes have faded terribly...especially the blue. People's blue jeans look green. Using auto-levelling helps some, but you can't boost blue that just isn't there.

I also have some low-resolution scans of these same photos that were done many years ago. The image scale is bad, but the color balance is good.

What I'd like to do is somehow merge the hi-resolution scans I'm doing now with the colors from the older images. Any thoughts on how this could be done?

Thanks,

Bruce

_._,_._,_