The Colors of the Pandemic Year 2022, Part 2

Dan Margulis

Continuing the discussion of prediction of color trends, divided into two halves. The first showed five rather similar greens. We now move on to the non-greens, reminding you that in this unhappy year, nobody has picked anything warm, which I suspect is unprecedented. Almost all choices are ambiguous, in the sense that one of the AB channels is positive and the other negative, as opposed to an uplifting red or a warm yellow where both are positive, or a cool aqua/teal where both are negative.

The vendor descriptions of these non-green choices break new ground in pomposity. Be warned. With that, I turn the floor over to them.

Cream Moonstone, from Roommates Decor, which specializes in colorful wallpaper, but  here offers us something completely bland, at odds with their reputation: “This is a color that provides a restorative calm, while also offering a refreshing sense of energy and optimism to lead the way in 2022. It’s a versatile hue that can be both the gentle hero of a space–with a stylish neutral palette throughout–or something that plays a supportive role to complement other colors. It’s also unexpected–people often associate us with our bold, bright patterns, and we’re excited to show that peel and stick wallpaper can also yield spaces that promote calm and relaxation.”

Bright Skies, from AkzoNobel, a Dutch paint and coatings firm: “The airy, light blue feels like the breath of fresh air we all need. After a spell of feeling shut in, people are craving expansion. Extensive global trend research conducted by a team of in-house paints and coatings color experts and international design professionals reveals that we want open air, connections to the great outdoors and a fresh approach to everything.”

Cosmos, from Robert Kaufman Fabrics: “This extraplanetary purple embodies the majesty and mystery of the universe.” Wow.

Orchid Flower, from WGSN, a London-based consumer trend forecast firm: “Has an intense, hyper-real and energizing quality that will stand out in both real-life and digital settings. It is also versatile enough to work across seasons and continents. In a challenging time, this saturated magenta tone will be a great way to create a sense of positivity and escapism.”

Very Peri, (short for Periwinkle, from the most well-known authority of all): “A new Pantone color whose courageous presence encourages personal inventiveness and creativity."

These two posts, then, summarize vendor ideas of what constitutes courageous, intense, energizing, extraplanetary, organic. uplifting, relaxed, and soothing in this challenging year. Maybe so, but I find them depressing and at best, ambiguous. We'll see whether they are, in fact, the colors of the year.