Re: Miscellaneous

Dan Margulis

On Dec 3, 2021, at 9:32 AM, bill bane <bill.bane@...> wrote:

Others will do better, but how about you getting out into the field, and explaining how come the greens of Maui and Ireland are both beautiful and different, and which lab values best characterize each?

Well, the Maui part I already did, it’s the intro to Chapter 6 of MPCW, where I explained the need for the MMM action. I took an author to task for having declared there was a surplus of greens here.

Apparently my criticism was taken to heart, because the offending quotation no longer appears in current editions of this very popular guidebook.

Dan

_____________________________________

As a citizen of the world, I often find myself exploring unfamiliar regions. Until recently, it wasn’t easy to access the web while in the car, so I became a connoisseur of guidebooks. The one I use for the island of Maui is truly excellent. I trust what it says. So when I read about the following suggested detour, I was on the hook.

If you think the road to Hana looked lush and beautiful, wait till you see Nahiku. When plants go to heaven, Nahiku must be their destination. Everything green seems so happy and healthy, you can almost hear them giggling. Life bursts from every corner at the bottom half of the road. The whole setting is ensconced in an area packed with more shades of green than you ever knew existed.

This is quite some recommendation. The Highway to Hana that the author refers to is one of the great drives of the world. Around every hairpin curve, across every one-lane bridge, are waterfalls, rainforests, and drop- dead ocean views. Even on Maui, which is noted for its postcard scenes, this drive is special. If he says that it’s small potatoes next to this Nahiku detour, I’m on my way.

Regretting at every pothole that I had consumed so much ahi poke at lunchtime, I left the highway and made my way down to the coast to see all the shades of green that had so smitten the scribe.

The verdict: New Jersey has better. Our forests are greener. They have more variation in color, too, because of a greater diversity of species.
Granted, this guy is not a color expert as far as I know. That should be a point in his favor. Those evaluating our work are mostly laypeople, too.

Understanding how they think can be key to having our own work properly appreciated.

And granted, the guy is probably crazy. Otherwise, why would he be an author? But still, how can he be remembering all these shades of green that don’t exist? If you get hired to process his pictures, you can be sure that he’s going to crumple any effort that doesn’t reflect his memories into a little ball and fire it into your face.

Part of what he saw was simultaneous contrast, which we’ve already mentioned a few times in other chapters. Evolution has programmed us to see variation when confronted by a slew of similarity. He was probably also influenced by the smell, by the lushness of the growth, by the soothing sound of the wind, and the blessed relief the forest canopy offered from the tropical sun. Giuliana Abbiati and I are trying to develop actions and scripts to get these factors into the PPW panel, but no luck so far.

This chapter is about how to incorporate the variation that people think they saw but that the camera did not record.