moderated Re: Case study announcement: Courtyard Wash

sj_90000@...

Dan said:

*The two pre-1980 photos that were posted for reference show thin white halos around the glyphs. So does at least one entry so far. Since I have not seen any indications of such halos in the Turner original photos, I am assuming that they represent unsharp masking on the part of whatever scanner operator or Photoshopper worked on those early images. I am not telling anybody to avoid USM, it can be useful in an assignment like this, but if the Fremont people were doing something similar I would like to know. So if anybody sees evidence that the halos were deliberate, please indicate.
====================

My take on it is that there were three phases. First the petroglyphs were etched. Then, at a later date and probably by a different tribe, white pigment was added/overlaid creating pictographs. And ultimately everything was trashed. But on two of the included sample images there are definitely white outlines on most of the glyphs. And I do see extremely faint traces of these outlines around certain glyphs in my enhanced version of the default image. While they are not as defined or bright as the samples, I believe they are real. Also, has anyone else noticed all the gouges in the glyphs? These seem “new”, as I don’t see them in the supplied samples. Was this part of the original defacement, or is this a second one?

HTH – Steve J

Join colortheory@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.