From: colortheory@groups.io <colortheory@groups.io> on behalf of jorgeparraphotography <jorgeparraphotography@...>
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2021 8:31 AM
To: colortheory@groups.io <colortheory@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [colortheory] Auto-Levels Question for Dan

Oop this brings a question to my head: as much as checking, after all adjustments are made, seems to be like a test for the quality of the adjustments, then wouldn't it make more sense to start this Auto adjustment at the RAW stage, right after capture?
Apply the AUTO control in either LightRoom, Photoshop, Capture One, and call this THE starting point?

I found it interesting to have this Auto everything version added as a basic layer to my files. Other modified versions exported from the RAW stage would be stacked and use the mixing as my Base or personal PAR of my work, and make the additional local adjustments in that Base image.

I am finding conceptual problems in my thinking with the inclusion of AUTO anything -after the fact-  if I spent some time working with a file. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of our creative approach??

From the amazing experience of having tried to work on the challenges (Thanks Dan!) and seeing sooo many variations of the final results, with barely one or two challenges having a good deal of similar results, I feel it is obvious that the personal creative input
takes precedence in each individual, regardless of how close or how far your result ends up compared to "right" image ( The PAR versions). So what is the deal with telling the software: "Ok, I am finished, now you do your thing and fix this file"...

I guess I am missing something and would like to understand what is it.

Thanks
--
Jorge Parra
www.jJorgeParraPhotography.com