Re: High Andes: Results

Robert Wheeler

Mine is 1012.  ACR filter with dropper to set color balance based on a clean part of the hat white area and setting light and dark endpoints (alt-slider watching clipping areas) created good improvement. I noticed the green channel and the cyan channel had good detail, but my attempts at channel blending ended up causing more problems than solutions. Instead, I ended up using a broad mid-tones3 luminosity mask on a curves adjustment layer set to luminosity mode, one for each channel; an s-curve to each helped detail and gave more snap to the fabric colors without creating alarming side effects.  The face ended up lighter than some entries, but could be true skin color reduced by incident light I suppose.The reds and oranges change quite a bit depending on the use of proof colors (sRGB), and even the final sRGB jpg coloring looks a bit different in various viewing applications (even when supposedly set to be color managed) and looks different on my main high-gamut monitor than on the adjacent color calibrated but smaller gamut monitor. Makes a convincing demonstration of the importance of color calibration, color space settings, viewing color parameters, software color management settings, and browser color settings (even before we get to individual perceptual differences and preferences). If I think about it too much, I begin to feel like the millipede who tried to explain how all those feet could coordinate and ended up unable to walk.
Robert Wheeler