Re: Land of Pagodas: Results

Doug Schafer

I did a good look at all and have comments and a question.
I think many got it quite right or close. But there were 2 groups that seemed to either get the colors wrong (inconsistent with landscape scenes for foreground, mountains, sky) and some where luminosity was either too bright, a few rather dark with little/lost detail, and some with brightness inconsistent with dawn; often too bright or too dark all within the same image.

And my questions for Dan is about halos; especially around the pagoda bldg shapes against the background. Some halos are obviously too much, some entries seem to have no halos, and some have some halos but not obnoxious. It seems there are some halos in the original? And are there "natural" halos to leave in place?
Dan, can you point out which images have halos that are acceptable and perhaps give some descriptive words about acceptability level of halos. Clearly no halos is best. But are they always worth spending time to fix if not real obvious to intended viewers?
And, what is a good technique for removing them? I know how to manually paint them out. But maybe there is a channel blending or blend-if or masking method that is more precise and less time consuming than painting?

Doug Schafer