Re: Land of Pagodas: Results

Kent Sutorius

I found this to be the most difficult image to work on. Mine was 823. I was stymied by how the mountain range should look and became frustrated with the process. Working with channels I kept getting the mountain range washed out (lighter) but even the par has some of that. I thought the range should remain dark and more defined. That error in judgment led to an unsuccessful look. Even though I sharpened the picture, it looks very  muddy compared to others.

Kent Sutorius

On 3/22/2021 7:20 AM, Dan Margulis via groups.io wrote:
I’ve posted the results of the Burma exercise, the eighth in a series of 11 case studies.

Reviewing: This is a dawn photo by Vincent Versace, whose raw file was available. We have 33 entries. Most people also submitted a list of their steps, thanks very much. I haven’t read these, because I’d rather get a sense of who was successful and who wasn’t before investigating why.
The files don’t have people’s names on them, and were random-generator numbered from #801 to #833. As with past studies, we also have a “par” version, #834. To get it, I chose five that I thought were among the best entrants, and averaged them, each one weighted 20%. This often creates a version that is superior to most if not all of its parents.

Normally I don't comment on results for two days after they're posted. Meanwhile, if you’d like to know how your own version stacked up, download the par version and compare the two directly. Do you think you got the same kind of quality? If not, I hope you’ll find further discussion useful.
The Folder is in the group's Photos section, 2021 Case Study: Land of Pagodas,
https://groups.io/g/colortheory/album?id=261860
I also have zipped all entries and uploaded a file to our Files section,
https://groups.io/g/colortheory/files/
Search for 032221_Land-of-Pagodas_entries.zip
If you are going to study these versions I strongly encourage you to download these files. Many of these entrants vary only in a minor way and it is hard to see the impact of a change without toggling back and forth between them.
I look forward to your comments.
Dan Margulis

P.S. Our ninth case study will be posted today; look for a separate post.