Re: Choir: Dan's comments

Doug Schafer

Dan, what magic you work with your knowledge and skills. Thanks for your generous efforts to not only host the images and reviews; but also your insight and feedback for each of us and for providing all of us with information and things to ponder. Seeing the results of many leads to new skills and knowledge.
While I've been following your books and using PPW for many years now, there are always new learnings.
From this series, I have, for myself, found these thing to pay more attention to/added emphasis:
Analysis:
- view image carefully, in context, and determine what is wrong and needs to be fixed
- what colors are wrong and affected by which adjustments; can be fixed globally? or requires local adjustments
- what channels/tools may work, or not; and how to think about a variety of ways to apply to solve different problems
Correct the image: to suit a goal/client/acceptability and/or to be outside the norm/typical/classical correction for artistic reasons; to self or client taste
Review: and adjust until it is done
Test: check the final version(s) for luminance, colors, contrast, saturation, etc; never forget to try auto tone/contrast as a final check. There is no one, right, correction. Blending 2 or more images still usually results in a better correction and is worth the effort.

I believe these above are still consistent with your multi-step process explained in your books, but I have a new emphasis on the analysis and test. By now we should know the Ps tools/techniques and how to use; but where and why is perhaps more important. And your explanations of blend-if and using channels as layer adjustments simply amazes me. You are like a pixel chess player; playing with colors and luminosity.
Thanks!

Doug Schafer