Re: Choir: Results


Edward Bateman
 

Mine was 723

I usually have a bit of a personal agenda with these challenges. I mentally allowed myself to go back to when I was a full-time retoucher (before becoming a photo professor) who had to do anything that came through the door.

I figured that the choir was the most important element in the picture… why else would we have it? The photographer would have waited for the choir to arrive… not for them to leave so he could photograph the church. So making the choir the visual focus was my goal.

So in many respects, I felt like I achieved that goal - in part by darkening the (overwhelming and lighter) background and foreground. I wrestled with the red dresses - and darkened them both for “gravitas” and to set the focus on the faces… which I suspected proud parents would be most interested in. And I feel pretty good about my results and have a pretty good balance of things. I think that compared to the Par, mine does have more visual focus on the choir.

And then I sometimes think I went Dr. Frankenstein on this image and made it into something very different… especially when I look at the range of submissions. Mine felt rather different. My gold was definitely more brassy than the best. And a sense of light and lightness was lost.

I tried blending the Par on mine as both luminosity and color... and not sure that I preferred either. But would concede that some aspects of the color felt like an improvement to me.

So I’m still pondering this and studying the comments and images of others. This is really cool!

And thank you again for including the submission of my class.

Number 728.

My students did this as a group as a bit of an experiment by making 3 versions. (We did this over zoom with a student doing the work with others suggesting moves.) Two in Photoshop using the regular and flat versions - and one doing everything with Raw tools. The students were pleased with what they did in Raw… but when we compared as layers, that one was judged the least effective. So they did simple opacity blends from their 3 images to make their final image.

My students now agree that the power of channel blending and Bigger Hammer has become important in their tool set. I’m especially proud that they are really seeing and noticing aspects of images more precisely… and they are too. One student has been going back to his earlier work with a new eye.

SO THANK YOU!!!

Edward Bateman

Join colortheory@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.