Re: A unique color-testing opportunity

Thomas Hurd,MD

Dan,

I just returned from the ophthalmologist. I have a cataract in each eye, but he did not yet recommend surgery.

I was complaining that I might not be seeing well enough on my computer correcting images, but now I found
1) I actually have a blue streak across my laptop screen that is obviously not on either of my desktop dual monitors.
2)  my doctor told me that because we get more yellow in our vision with cataracts that he believes that is why multiple artists have gone through “blue periods”
3) also I probably need to develop my skill set anyway

My story is to amplify yours. Many of your readers, students, and colorists around the world will be going through this same experience. It is very common in USA to undergo sequential cataract surgery in 60s and beyond. I’m not sure how common it is in other countries.

None the less you will be starting a project that can be continued by, I’m sure, many volunteers.

The standardized tests are the most, well, standardized. So your information on them
will be the most reproducible.

About 18 months ago I took a couple of those tests to arrange colors in order. It frustrates me because I had to repeat the test twice to get an exact match in every single row. I found it interesting that I could learn the subtle differences with practice and then get perfect scores. I should retake them now to see if training held as well over time.

The history of medicine has many examples of both patients and doctors doing individual experiments that greatly added to the body of knowledge at the time. The more humorous are the earliest anesthetist sharing volatile liquids around the dinner table, which eventually resulted in the discovery of chloroform. More serious were patients about to be enucleated who offered to stare straight at the sun for hours to characterize the damage on their retinas.

I wonder if besides color perception, either from cataracts or genetics, if there are physiologic reasons that colorists and clients are better at assessing images of different sorts: landscapes, indoors, low light, animals, different but specific artificial lighting, etc. it could also be familiarity and practice, hopefully.

Tom Hurd

On Nov 6, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Rick Gordon <lists@...> wrote:

 1) Since presumably, the apparent differences would be most noticeable when immediately shifting between eyes, it would be good to know how your new preferences hold over time, once you've had both surgeries and some time to

On November 6, 2020 at 11:37:54 AM [-0800], Dan Margulis Via Groups.io wrote in an email entitled "[colortheory] A unique color-testing opportunity":
In the next week I have a never-to-be-repeated opportunity to do some testing about color preferences. Since after next week the testing won’t be possible, I throw it open for suggestions.

…
RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING
WWW: http://www.shelterpub.com