Re: Playing with color and shadows to remove 3D perception in living sculptures

Robert Wheeler

When we look at normal objects, there are transitions from the areas we can see in front to the areas on the sides/behind that are hidden from view. When the edges are curved, we normally see a gradual transition with subtle gradients in shading from light to dark. Changing that to a visually abrupt edge imitates what happens at the edge of a flat surface. A flat piece of paper or plywood looks flat in part due to the abrupt edge transition and in part due to the flat area appearing more uniform. Making curved edges appear abrupt by applying exaggerated contrast (or even a black outline effect to an edge area) could help make something appear two dimensional. It also echos what we see in selected styles of painting. So, with this second look, I suspect that this work on curved edges may be part of what she has in mind when talking about the intentional increase in contrast. Very interesting in any case.