Re: Playing with color and shadows to remove 3D perception in living sculptures

Robert Wheeler

Watching the works in progress in the video, I conclude that abbreviating the technique to "making the shadows stronger and the highlights brighter" omits many really important elements of what is going on perceptually. I see her adding paint to normally flat surfaces (forehead, wall) with multiple colors and imitations of texture that make it harder for us to read the area as "flat." On curved areas it become more difficult to follow the "real" curves. More is going on to counteract perspective clues, but I am less certain which parts are most important. I have the feeling that the blotches of colors and misleading edges have some relationship to the ideas used in designing camouflage, but they are not exactly the same. I think she is exactly right to categorize this as a reverse fool the eye technique "reverse Trompe L'Oeil." It just involves many other methods than exaggerating shadows and highlights. Thanks for posting the links.
Robert Wheeler