Retrieving impossible colour from Lab

John Phillips

Hi, I am curious about what happens to out of gamut colours during an Lab - to RGB conversion - where do they go and is there a way to keep this information?

As I understand it, when a L*a*b image is converted to RGB, the colour values are clamped to fit into the 255 range, leaving legal representations of colours.

I wondered if it is theoretically possible to conduct this conversion and store on file only the data which is out of gamut, without the proxy colours?

Mr Margulis' work has inspired me for nearly 2 decades, I am an artist working on an experimental project and would like to produce files which are entirely out of gamut, with nothing visible to SRGB. Even if this means producing a blank image.

Thank you