Re: Case Studies in Retrospect

Thomas Hurd,MD

One of my favorite exercises was the Panama image. I took the moire as  a personal challenge to be eliminated.

Even though I completely wiped out the nose on Dan’s face (and it wasn’t the only time my correction was an outlier), the task at hand forced me to find out how to eliminate the problem.

Finding the suppressor add on was a challenge to track down, and I actually at one point thought about drawing some of the detail back in. It was a little embarrassing to be the only image with an absolutely smooth face.

But in the end, Dan, in his critique, said my colors were fine and said to blend the nose back in with the blue channel IIRC. So a win for the color part, and a win for learning how to correct the face contrast the next time I get that. In fact, it gives me the ability to now take any detail away and just blend another channel for contrast!

Tom Hurd

On Aug 14, 2020, at 7:18 PM, Thomas Hurd,MD via groups.io <tomhurd@...> wrote:

I will say that I have tried channel mixer, but image>apply image is first of all much easier to begin with.

I have been using Channel Power Tools, which lends itself beautifully to apply image.

I think that working on the channels for blending and masking is one of the most wonderful thing about Photoshop in image correction.

When I had no idea what I was doing in Carnival, having never produced a CMYK image before, I took the RGB channels and essentially copied them into CMYK. From there I used adjustments like curves, etc. but also the brush tools, like dodge and burn, and the brush itself to paint in shadows and highlights for the individual channels. I Emma’s able to get a better shape to the colored image that way.

I didn’t use the brush techniques on the channels frequently in the other exercises, except during masking.

Tom Hurd

On Aug 14, 2020, at 2:56 PM, k_d@... wrote:

Our thanks again for everything and helpful final words.

And questions:
I think most have learned how to channel blend via apply image to channels and use for image correction....it is a valuable tool as you pointed out in your summary.
I'm thinking we can achieve the same result using channel mixer adjustment layer in place of apply image channel blending.....it seems to be the same thing using a different Ps tool/technique.

And the questions are:
Will channel mixer work OK? and why did you not use it in preference to channel blending via apply image?
How can we use channel mixer to get your channel blending results; i.e. what are the basic procedural steps and perhaps a sample image done both ways?

I'm thinking it will work but I have not been successful doing so, yet. (I have not given up)

Doug Schafer