Re: Remembered saturation

Arthur Margolin

  The  only empirical study I could find that was related to this issue had a counterintuitive finding: according to the authors,   "...memories seem to literally fade: people consistently remembered visual scenes as being less vibrant than they were originally experienced,” [...] “We had expected that memories would get less accurate after a delay, but we did not expect that there would be this qualitative shift in the way that they were remembered.”
Subjects in this study looked at images, and the extent to which the findings generalize to real world experiences is an open question I would imagine.
(The published article is behind a paywall, so exactly what they did to reach their conclusions can't be evaluated without paying $35.00)

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 7:29 PM Dan Margulis via groups.io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Jun 16, 2020, at 1:17 PM, Alec Dann via groups.io <alec.dann@...> wrote in the Cinque Terre thread:

Dan,

You mention that colors are often remembered as being more saturated than they were at the time they were experienced.  I first encountered that observation in Margaret Livingstone's book, "Vision and the Art: The Biology of Seeing," a book that is full of useful information for photographers.  Livingstone doesn't reference the source of her observation.  Are you aware of any studies of color memory that explore the saturation of remembered colors?

The phenomenon notoriously exists but it’s impossible to quantify because as a rule we can’t measure things that only exist in the past. Also, laypeople generally don’t understand the difference between “colorimetrically accurate” and “the version that best reminds me of the scene"