Re: Red Rose: results
toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
My entry is 1213.
I was a bit lost in the wilderness as to the color of this flower as well as the contrast when I started.
I spent some time paging through Dan’s books to get an idea of how to regain the contrast for the petals. I finally decided on blending the green channel into the L channel at about 50%. This gave me plenty of contrast!
I tried a couple of corrections from the flat jpg, but then went to the DNG. What bothered me about the image was the blown out highlights, as I saw it. Also, it seemed that was from too harsh of a flash, as determined by the white petal highlights and the high contrast shadow. Therefore, I changed the color balance to flash (5500 K) and decreased the exposure two stops.
I was determined to get rid of the white on the rose, and I still managed to get a luminosity range in the flower, but I can see that compared to everyone else, I might have tried to put back those 2 stops of exposure. I guess, Dan, that I fell into the "obliterate it" group.
It is a great learning experience for me, to explore the different ways to get the color and texture. But as Dan noted with other people’s comments, it was a struggle. I suppose my lack of experience has much to with that. As Dan also said, those with experience (and expertise) could knock out a competitive version in a few minutes. I also spent time going down some dead end pathways.
Once I saw what the par version looked like, I was able to reproduce something close to it’s color in about 10 minutes, without the angst of public presentation. As Dan mentioned in his introduction to this final opponent, if you aren’t having success with reds, look to change your workflow. What made this more challenging to me was not knowing the color, and thinking the original was off, as I said above. The first entry, Carnival, was challenging, but there was a specific, if unattainable, color to reference.
I have been taking another look at my corrected photos, especially those hanging on the walls around the house, and there are a few I am going to redo! (My wife’s face is equal parts a and b. Plenty of red to work with) That said, my rose printed out nicely on Legacy Platine. I hope to print a better result tomorrow.
Robert, thanks for sharing your technique. I wound up blending two intermediate images, and also used a false profile multiplication technique.
Paco, I enjoyed the texture you accomplished in the interior central petals. Very lifelike. I had a problem as well with blue/purple tint near the end of my process. I wound up using a color fill layer with B=88 and painted over the bluish ares to get a positive b value in LAB.
I would echo Robert’s compliments to the group and especially Dan.
To close, I wanted to share a few things:
What I learned this summer!