Adirondacks: Results

Dan Margulis

I’ve posted the results of the Adirondacks study, the penultimate in a series of 11 studies beginning with one provided by Roberto Tartaglione and continuing with ten chosen by me.

Reviewing: This particular scene was photographed in fall 2018. You are given to understand that unusual climate in the summer months of the year created conditions for an unprecedented display of autumn color, and you are to assume that this will be noted in any caption to your work. It’s hard to get a bad-looking result from this original but it isn’t easy to get an excellent one. And there is a bit of room for artistic judgment.

We have 21 entrants. Three others, including two that came in the last 12 hours, were disqualified because they had been downsized, presumably by the person’s e-mail app. Most people also submitted a list of their steps, thanks very much. I haven’t read these, because I’d rather get a sense of who was successful and who wasn’t before investigating why.

The files don’t have people’s names on them, and were random-generator numbered from #1101 to #1121. As with past studies, we also have a “par” version, #1122. To get it, I chose what I thought looked like the five best entrants, and averaged them, each one weighted 20%. This often creates a version that is superior to most if not all of its parents.

I’ll have some things to say about this assortment, but as usual I’d like to open it up to group discussion first. What do the successful versions have in common? Meanwhile, if you’d like to know how your own version stacked up, download the par version and compare the two directly. Do you think you got the same kind of quality? If not, I hope you’ll find further discussion useful.

The folder is in the group Photos section, named Case Study: Adirondacks

I also have zipped all 22 files and uploaded a 50 mb file to our Files section,
Search for Adirondacks_entries_072720.zip
If you are going to study these versions I strongly encourage you to download these files. Many of these entrants vary only in a minor way and it is hard to see the impact of a change without toggling back and forth between them.

I look forward to your comments.

Dan Margulis

P.S. Our final case study is announced today, look for a separate post.