Re: Seated in Grass: Comments on individual versions

jwlimages@...

Hi James & Doug. I decided to address the freckles in my version also (#1021). After I got the general color & tonal values lining up fairly well, the crisp detail of her freckles & some skin blemishes just seemed kind of cruel to the subject. So I did some light retouching on the few largest blemishes and on her lips. Then blended some of the red channel into the blue, masked to the skin areas - this had the effect of not hiding, but toning down the freckles while preserving smoothness & image sharpness. The lighter values in her face also made that shadow on her neck really stand out, so I lightened/partially blended it in with her lighter skin tones.

I think of little moves like these not so much as retouching, but just being kind to the subject of the portrait...

John Lund