Re: Toast to Greece

Raymond St. Arnaud <starnaud@...>

Hi to all

I am #924
So there seems to be 2 big issues.
The color balance of the flash portion in the foreground and the tungsten balance at the far table.
Second issue is shapness of foreground figures and softness of far figures.

I examined the possibility of trying to match the skin tones of the 2 groups but eventually
came to the conclusion that Greece means sunshine which equates to sunburn and various shades
tanning to no tan, (probably someone from the Canadian west coast).

I gave up on skin tones and looked at whites, which also have variables and eventually
found a couple of spots in the modesty panels draped over the front of the tables.
The material in the flat surfaces in foreground and the ruffled material at the back
are different, but decided they were close enough, lacking other close choices.

In RGB I created 3 curve adjustment layers and added some Gradients to the layer masks.

Adj. Layer1: I decided to move the foreground figures from daylight color to a warmer color.
Adj. Layer 2: The reverse of the above and adjusted far figures to be less warm.
Adj. Layer 3 I selected a section that centered on the corner where tables meet that feathered
out to the sides. Some fiddling with Adjustment curves to balance the image.

I then copied the image 3 times and used the same kind of Gradient Masks and
applied small amount Unsharp Mask to the figures on the left. More Unsharp mask
applied to the far figures  and Unsharp masking the centre.

I took the liberty of eliminating the small branches in upper right and the Yellow bowl on the floor
Where the tables meet. I thought both are distractions to the event.

The next day

I decided that the far figures needed more "bones". So i made a duplicate in Lab,
copied the L channel as a layer above the image and added a Gradient that started
on the right edge and ended the last man standing on the left near the corner, Opacity at 24%.

A week later

In addition, I would like to comment on the large areas of white. There was a famous exercise in B&W film photography.
Photograph a white object on a white background, without there being a sense of "grayness".

I thought it important to preserve the white of the tables and the costumes worn by the participants.
My guide for flesh tones was the forearm of the woman on the left side closest to the camera.
I decided the skin tones should be light, thinking it more appropriate to the scene and occasion.

Hope you are all well.

Raymond St Arnaud
Victoria, BC