Re: Monument Valley: comments on individual versions

Thomas Hurd,MD

Sorry for the partial post.

I’ve already outed myself as the owner of 827. At Dan’s suggestion in his comments, I did try the multiply though blue mask, and it worked just fine, better than a hue saturation adjustment layer.

 I’m not surprised Dan wasn’t sure what I did, because I just reread my description, and I could hardly understand it myself.

 I will try once more, maybe simpler.

 I blended three versions:

Monday one was a quick mmmcb only, default values.

The second was a bit more detailed, with BIGGER HAMMER action and H-K before the MMMCB.

 Having a satisfactory version safely in my pocket, I went for broke Sunday afternoon and evening.

I did a few unusual moves (for me) on the third version.

  • After initial correction of the purplish cast, I tried to kill the red by blending the green channel into the red in a duplicate channel. For this layer I then used color mode. This was a little over the top so I had to add a curve layer to decrease the green a little bit in the mid tones.
  • This was correct in color, but I wanted to get the color variation compressed even more so I could use mmm and CB to my heart’s content when the time came.
  • Also, I wanted to eventually increase the contrast to the max because there was no sharpening allowed and I really wanted to demonstrate the contrast between the reddish colors of the butte and the blue/gray.
  • So I used H-K and skin desaturation (it’s magenta and yellow so why not?)
  • Then (because some days I like to make pig of myself) I used S/H from the PPW Panel 6x in a row. (What the heck, I know I’m blending this with other images)

At last my colors dulled down, my contrast overdone with S/H, I tried something new (for me) the MMM fine-tuned action that Gerald Bakker developed as a refinement to the regular PPW. For the selection I drew a rectangle around the face of the butte. After the MMM fine-tuned (for those who haven’t tried it, you can find it as an action in “my actions” in the PPW Panel download), I used the color boost 2018, again from the same action panel.

  • Within the group that’s comprises the MMM-CB, I used the inverted yellow channel (gaussian blurred) to mask the color boost moves.
  • I made a composite layer.
  • I duplicated it several times.
  • The first layer up from the composite I multiplied on itself. This multiplies the L and overlays the a and b. Better color intensity and contrast.
  • The next layer I overlaid the a and b on themselves. I used a gradient mask to hide this from the lower half.
  • I inserted a curves layer, with the a and b curves flat across zero so there was no color. I decreased the opacity to about 40%, and made a gradient layer to hide this desaturation from the face of the butte.
  • I took the last duplicate and blended the inverted a channel into the L channel. This made the greens slightly lighter and the butte slightly darker to stand out from the background clouds.

I took this mountain of layers and made a composite layer.

I took the three versions. and blended them with color and luminosity % to taste.

The upshot is I really took more steps than I needed, but eventually got the luminosity changes I wanted, and blended the week’s worth of layers together.

Tom Hurd

Thomas Hurd, MD

On Jul 9, 2020, at 10:29 AM, Thomas Hurd <tomhurd@...> wrote:

I’ve already outed myself as the owner of 827.
I’m not surprised Dan wasn’t sure what I did, because I just reread my description, and I could hardly understand it.
I blended three versions:
one was a quick mmmcb only.
The second was a bit more detailed.
Having a satisfactory version safely in my pocket, I went for broke Sunday afternoon and evening.
I did a few unusual moves (for me) on the third version.
After initial correction of the purplish cast, I tried to kill the red by blending the green channel into the red in a duplicate channel. For this layer I then used color mode. This was a little over the top so I had to add a curve layer to decrease the green a little bit in the mid tones.
This was correct in color, but I wanted to get the color variation slammed so I could use mmm and CB to my heart’s content when the time came.
Also, I wanted to eventually increase the contrast to the max because there was no sharpening allowed and I really wanted to demonstrate the contrast between the reddish colors of the butte and the blue/gray.
So I used H-K and skin desaturation (it’s magenta and yellow so why not?)
Then (because some days I like to make pig of myself) I used S/H from the PPW Panel 6x in a row. (What the heck, I know I’m blending this with other images)
At last my colors dulled down, my contrast overdone, I tried something new (for me) the MMM fine-tuned action that Gerald Bakker developed as a refinement to the regular PPW. For the selection I drew a rectangle around the face of the butte. After the MMM fine-tuned (for those who haven’t tried it, you can find it as an action in “my actions” in the PPW Panel download), I used the color boost 2018, again from the same action panel.
Within the group that’s comprises the MMM-CB, I used primarily

Tom Hurd

On Jul 8, 2020, at 9:46 AM, John Gillespie <john@...> wrote:

Pleased to be selected for the par version (812). Even if quite arbitrary, I'll take it!
One odd thing about the original is the vantage point. At first glance, as the foreground and the butte are so similar in colour and darkness, it looks like we are are seeing a horizontal foreground from which the butte emerges. But the tree on the left indicates that it is in fact a vertical bank and that the photographer is standing in a ditch or dried river bed.
Perhaps the ground dips again and the photographer is using this angle to obscure distractions such as other people, or a road etc. in the space between the bank and the butte. Or perhaps it is just to create some foreground interest.
Entry 827 makes the geography of the scene very clear (to my mind). You get a real sense that moving up the bank would take a bit of effort, and that there is a distance between the top of the bank and the main rock.
It may not accurately depict the colour of the foreground, but it does I think accurately show the shape of it more than any other, although 822 does a good job as well.
Blending with it definitely improves my version (or degrades 827 depending on your point of view).