Re: Cinque Terre: Techniques

Dan Margulis

On Jun 17, 2020, at 4:58 PM, k_d@... wrote:

I can easily tell those that are flat or pale vs. bold in contrast or color saturation, especially when compared to my effort "after the fact".
But that seems too late, except for learning, and learning seems to be a slow process.

I have found a few .atn "tests" for oversat on a grey layer...but not sure if any good; as results vary with different tests run. If color shows then probably it is over-saturated.
I have never found any good measure (except by eyeball experience), of "correct" or best contrast.

Dan, are there any checks we can make (like using histogram for checking black and white points), for checking contrast and saturation?

Since a histogram doesn’t know what the picture is about, it can’t offer an opinion on how much contrast or saturation is appropriate. A photograph of the city of Venice would have a histogram similar to one of the fake scenes of the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas, but these two scenes would need to be handled differently.

A histogram-related possibility that might actually be useful, although I don’t particularly endorse it:

Suppose you have a version of the village in Cinque Terre, and you wish to know whether you should try to add more pop to it.

1) Add a duplicate layer

2) Make a two-second, sweeping lasso selection of the interior of the village.

3) Image: Adjustments>Equalize

4) In the ensuing dialog, choose Equalize entire image based on selected area

5) Reduce layer opacity, remembering that this is only for investigation and no great precision is needed.

The ancient Equalize command was originally known as Equalize Histogram. That’s what it does: it spreads out the histogram in the selected area, which can be the equivalent of adding contrast to it.

This layer is almost certainly useless and should be discarded, but it may give you a hint that you should be trying harder.