Re: Carnival: what's next?

Dan Margulis

On May 24, 2020, at 4:27 PM, k_d@... wrote:

Daniele DiStanio has a website called Color Duels which offers once a week image correction challenge and video feedback for all the entries as well as education and tips. Excellent way of learning. He and Dan are friends.  go to ColorDuels.com to learn more. Home base is Italy.

Doug Schafer

Daniele is indeed a close friend and I also recommend his site, which offers a good selection of challenging images and, as Doug says, a weekly video of high quality discussing the results.

The site is pay-to-play, which is both a good and a bad thing. It’s good, because you know Daniele is committed to the project and will follow through with a timely video after each challenge. On our list, it’s strictly a question of whether some moderator has the time and inclination to do it.

The possibly bad thing is that it is necessary to be nice to paying clients. There has to be a certain amount of analysis of all images even if they are not interesting to the group as a whole. And, since it is necessary to assign names to the submission, even the bad ones must be described in somewhat diplomatic terms. Here, I feel free to ignore versions that don’t teach us anything, and to use New Jersey dialect to describe failures. (Note: just because a version comes out badly doesn’t mean it won’t be discussed; often I can point out exactly what the person did wrong, which can be useful to others.) Or rather, what went wrong in the preparation of the *version number*, since the person’s name is not revealed here unless I have something flattering to say about him.

Dan Margulis

P.S. Based on first entrants the current Veiled Bride case study is going to be interesting. Reminder that entries are due by Monday morning, mail to me at dmargulis@...