Re: ACT Classes, ideas welcome

Thomas Hurd,MD

How about a two week course in Paris, Venice and Rome?
You could have classes at the beginning and end and have on site demonstrations in the Louvre and Musee d’orsay in Paris.
The Uffizi in Venice.
Vatican Museum in Rome.
It would certainly lend itself wonderfully for the Chevreul aficionados. You could put an ACT course in there too somewhere I’m sure. So the participant’s European vacation pictures would get plenty of color correction.
The lure of a European vacation will get spouses along to help pay for the overhead of the course(s).
And it would draw fans from the Old World of course!

Tom Hurd

On Feb 16, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Dan Margulis via Groups.Io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I’ve been running Applied Color Theory classes with what is now Ledet Graphics Training for 25 years now. The typical student has changed a lot in that time, and the images we work on change regularly. And more than ten years ago, we switched from three long days to four—there was that much new content.

In 2019 we scheduled a class but I had to cancel a couple of months in advance when I decided to get myself a new pair of knees. That took care of the rest of the year as well.

With the Chevreul book finished Sterling and I are thinking about reviving the class, considering that there may now be more interest. But that comes with a price. In the past, all students were either professional retouchers or people who wanted to be just as good as professionals. They weren’t always Photoshop experts but then again most of color correction doesn’t require a whole lot of Photoshop expertise.

Now, however, there may be a different audience, one that wishes to talk more about color and less about technique. They may not know much about computers at all.

And besides, things have changed a lot in terms of the type of images we face. So I’m trying to come up with a plan for offering one or more new classes, possibly targeting the Chevreul audience, probably in June in Atlanta. And I could use some advice.

I thought briefly about doing a five-day class where people could sign up for either the first or the second half or both but dismissed it as impractical. What would we do if we had to cancel one half for lack of attendance?

The obvious choice is to update the existing ACT curriculum.

We might also think about something along the lines of the advanced course, open to those who have taken ACT before, but presumably with completely new images and discussions.

There’s no shortage of interesting images: I’ve thought about basing a curriculum on the MIT study that I’ve been writing about off and on in my blog at moderncolorworkflow.com. The advantage of that is that we get to compare to a group of moderately talented retouchers who were paid to correct them, and we can even select topics: with 5,000 images to choose from we can specify architectural interiors or desert scenes or nightscapes or whatever we like.

Anyhow, I’d be happy for suggestions, or expressions of interest in attending something fairly new like this.