Re: ACT Classes, ideas welcome

Thomas Hurd,MD

As I missed out on the class in San Diego I am definitely interested in another ACT class.
I’m free to travel but also live in the Atlanta area, so any thing done here is easy for me.
Now, to answer the real question:
Does all the material you have to offer constitute more than a single course of four days?
Putting it that way, of course you do.
Depending on how you want to parse out your time, the logical structure, based upon your message, is to offer 3 classes.
One, a less rigorous (Photoshop-wise) class on color theory, based along the lines of the new book.
Two, a more standard intro course for those who aspire in the more traditional way to be professional or highly skilled color correction amateur practitioners.
Three, the advanced course, which I would suppose you have been producing from time to time, but not as rigorously scheduled as the Ledet ACT course has been.
The other benefit of breaking it up, is you could possibly shorten the class back to three days but have a published pathway to getting to completion.
I don’t have any baseline for a comparison of the syllabus content, but I have read along on your adventures into the MIT image database. I’ve enjoyed learning through it. It’s also interesting to see that any workflow is never perfect for every situation. I love your commentary on your own work that starts with: “if only I had realized in advance...”
The advice you have given on starting over and make multiple stabs at correcting the image and blending them is helpful and is almost always a good approach.
My background is a professional physician and an amateur photographer who is practicing a life long learning path. I’ve gotten as deeply as I can stand into your written word and would love the chance to attend the standard ACT course, as well as the other two, if I were to be qualified for an advanced ACT class. My photography has a lot more to it than color, but nothing ever made as much of a leap in my work as learning to draw two steep a and b curves.

Tom

On Feb 16, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Dan Margulis via Groups.Io <dmargulis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I’ve been running Applied Color Theory classes with what is now Ledet Graphics Training for 25 years now. The typical student has changed a lot in that time, and the images we work on change regularly. And more than ten years ago, we switched from three long days to four—there was that much new content.

In 2019 we scheduled a class but I had to cancel a couple of months in advance when I decided to get myself a new pair of knees. That took care of the rest of the year as well.

With the Chevreul book finished Sterling and I are thinking about reviving the class, considering that there may now be more interest. But that comes with a price. In the past, all students were either professional retouchers or people who wanted to be just as good as professionals. They weren’t always Photoshop experts but then again most of color correction doesn’t require a whole lot of Photoshop expertise.

Now, however, there may be a different audience, one that wishes to talk more about color and less about technique. They may not know much about computers at all.

And besides, things have changed a lot in terms of the type of images we face. So I’m trying to come up with a plan for offering one or more new classes, possibly targeting the Chevreul audience, probably in June in Atlanta. And I could use some advice.

I thought briefly about doing a five-day class where people could sign up for either the first or the second half or both but dismissed it as impractical. What would we do if we had to cancel one half for lack of attendance?

The obvious choice is to update the existing ACT curriculum.

We might also think about something along the lines of the advanced course, open to those who have taken ACT before, but presumably with completely new images and discussions.

There’s no shortage of interesting images: I’ve thought about basing a curriculum on the MIT study that I’ve been writing about off and on in my blog at moderncolorworkflow.com. The advantage of that is that we get to compare to a group of moderately talented retouchers who were paid to correct them, and we can even select topics: with 5,000 images to choose from we can specify architectural interiors or desert scenes or nightscapes or whatever we like.

Anyhow, I’d be happy for suggestions, or expressions of interest in attending something fairly new like this.