Re: White Balance Dilemma

David Lawrence

Thank you Henry!

I'm beginning to find my way back to the light. :)  We have been fighting this screen calibration for so long that I forgot some basic tenants of white balance and PPW. I found this explanation useful to *balance* my thinking again.  I think Dan correctly pointed out that this scene is pretty "wacky" and everyone has highlighted the flaw in my approach.  I completely lost track of the intended subject of the photograph as I focused solely on the color of the background lights.

"Color Temperature Explained

Before you go into the process of correcting color imbalance you will need to understand color temperature. A basic description of color temperature is based on the color characteristics of visible light from warm (yellows) to cool (blues) and the ability to measure this in degrees Kelvin (°K). Degrees Kelvin is a numerical value assigned to the color emitted by a light source. Visualize a lamp filament that is heated using an electric current. It starts off as black and starts getting hot. At a particular point it will become hot enough to start glowing, typically a dark red. As it gets hotter, it will change from dark red to orange to yellow to practically white. It is important to understand that technically, red light has a lower color temperature but is described as warm, while blue light is a higher color temperature but is described as cool. So remember that the terms warm and cool describe color, not temperature. This is a fairly extensive topic but for a quick explanation this should help."

Balancing Color for Flash and Ambient Light using Gels

David Lawrence