Re: The worse color correction????

Hector Davila

I understand the process used that NASA uses to obtain near correct or near true color.

The first step in Dan Margullis class is to 'identify incorrect color'.

I look at the craters and the colors seem incorrect. That would mean the red streaks are not red, it
is incorrect color.

There is more detail in the red channel then the blue and green channel....yet the red channel, the streaks,
are not that visible or gone. The green and blue channel appear to be damaged.

If you correct the yellow green craters, then the streaks should not be red.

No matter what process NASA used, it's 'incorrect color'. Even if they colorized it, it's still incorrect colors.

It's needs to be ...color corrected.

Then the mystery of the red streaks will be gone.

In my opinion, the red streaks are caused by damaged color. Or the process NASA uses to obtain
near true color is broken.

But I could be wrong.

Hector Davila

On 8/2/2015 3:30 PM, Michael Jahn michaelejahn@... [COLORTHEORY] wrote:

From the article;

"Images taken using clear, green, infrared and ultraviolet spectral filters were combined to create the enhanced-color views, which highlight subtle color differences across the icy moon's surface at wavelengths not visible to human eyes."

So, that says to me that they use light we normally cant see to create a digital image that enhanced the surface.

I would not think they were trying what so ever to render something that was "color correct"

Respectfully,

Michael Jahn
1824 Garvin Avenue
Simi Valley, CA 93065
(805) 217-6741

On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Hector_APR amerphoto@... [COLORTHEORY] <COLORTHEORY@...> wrote:

This is probably the worse color correction I ever seen from NASA:
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/07/31/stunning-photo-saturn-moon-reveals-red-hued-mystery/?intcmp=hphz10

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA19637.jpg

Here are the jpeg and Tiff files:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA19637

I figure those streaks are not in fact Red. But Blue shadow color.

Am I wrong here?

Hector Davila

and I never seen Green craters before with light blue rings...