Re: The Canyon Conundrum

Hector Davila

I personally don't like "digressions". I find it distracting, offers no real insight, and I believe it removes the essence of the author.

I mean, I'm trying to understand the direction of the author, his thinking, his process...I don't need distractions. I feel I'm paying
for the authors words...which probably cost more to hear in a workshop. I don't want a single page of the book to be wasted.

But, that's just my opinion.

That aside, anything that would help Dan Marguis put out more...content, is fine with me.

Hector Davila

On 12/18/2014 4:00 PM, James Gray James@... [COLORTHEORY] wrote:

Dan,
As an individual who has been a beta reader, I am biased.  I will say your books have a lot of digressions that are not just quotes from beta readers.  Both types of digressions are much of what makes the books enjoyable to just sit down and read.  So, I am in favor or plenty of digressions.  I am sure that some people just want pithy direct advice on how get the best results and do not really want to be entertained at the same time.  Kirk West makes another good point in my opinion about the different levels of skill among the readers of your books.  There are clearly a significant amount of retired people on this list and certainly many more who read Dan't books and do not join this yahoo group.  If comments from beta readers and other digressions help the people who are not professional retouchers, I think they are very valuable.  In other words digressions are good.

James Gray