Re: Feininger's Zone System remarks

Paco Marquez <paco@...>

Hi to all!

Ansel Adams came up with the Zone System when he taught at the Art Center College of Design where I graduated from. To understand it, we were assigned the dreaded "9 neg test." Basically, and interestingly enough similarly to Dan's teachings, for most situations, what he proposed was to over expose and then under develop in order to get a flat neg, which would be easier to print because of the compressed tonal range.

This is exactly what Dan proposes when he says that flatness is our friend. The proof of which is undeniable in the series There Are No Bad Originals.

As someone who started out as a B&W printer in a commercial lab, I can tell you that both approaches are identical in as to what the ideal workflow starting point is; be it chemical or digital.

And then, even though the starting point is good, both need work; maybe lots of it in some cases but... what does not?

All the best!

Paco Marquez
661 McKinley
San Juan, PR 00907
787-721-8554 Studio
787-587-7384 Cel.
http://www.pacomarquez.com

On Jul 4, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Lee Varis wrote:

Dan writes:
Adam's approach to photography was valuable in that it introduced a systematic way of thinking about the end results when you were planning the picture.