Re: Zone System (WAS: Is there a problem with our communication)

Iliah Borg <ib@...>

On Jul 3, 2011, at 8:44 PM, Richmond J Dougall wrote:
Isn't wonderful to be alive and well in today's digital camera age when
you can shoot three or more bracketed shots and combine them with
PhotoMatix or Nik HDR

For the same reasons print density can' reach much more than 2.5D (glare and flare) sensor capture maintains sufficient linearity within 11 stops. Stacking of bracketed shots makes sense when sensor dynamic range is less than that, or in order to decrease the noise in shadows if shadows are to be heavily pushed. Unfortunately that is not how HDR promoters claim. Vast majority ignore physics, and ignore obvious image degradation coming out of the HDR. Many times I heard the claims that a scene of 12+ stops is captured, but never supporting exposure meter data was given.

--
Iliah Borg
ib@...