Re: Color correction by numbers-RGB

Lee Varis

Hi all,

Regarding Dan's post about RGB vs CMYK editing. I must admit that I am
from the half who grew up working in RGB. I did ALL of my color
correcting in RGB and then simply converted, in the best way I knew how,
to CMYK. I almost never did any post conversion editing of the CMYK
because my images "seemed" to be fine and in no particular need of CMYK
tweaking.

After taking Dan's class however, I can tell you that now I find plenty
of excuses to actually convert into CMYK to do some special color/tone
editing that IS easier to accomplish in CMYK. Most often this involves
editing the black plate to enhance shadow detail but there are plenty of
other tweaks that one can do in CMYK easier than RGB.

Sometimes, it is worth doing black plate editing on a duplicate of your
RGB, converted to CMYK - then convert back to RGB and apply the
luminosity of the edited file to the original RGB color to retrieve the
full gamut color and gain the benefit of greater shadow detailing. Once
you start to think more fluidly about RGB, CMYK and LAB a whole world of
possibility opens up and images can be enhanced way beyond what you've
accepted as good in the past.

Regarding Daniel Rubinstein's post:

I wonder if
there are any numeric guidelines for skin tones in RGB, as I would like to
make my advanced students work in the info palette rather then in the
colour. Does anyone has suggestions regarding RGB numbers for skin tones?
I have taken to looking at CMYK numbers (as the secondary color) in the
info palette when editing RGB for skin tone. With a little practice it
has become easy to adjust RGB to hit certain CMYK values that I use as a
guide only.

--
Regards,

Lee Varis