Topics

[Croquet] Australian WCF Shield

The WCF Shield is a GC event. I think it is fair to say the format is
rather unique.

- Just like the Eire Cup (the AC version of this Interstate tournament)
the series is contested by every Australian state: Queensland, New South
Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia & Western Australia.
- A test is played over 1 day and is made up of 20 matches.
- The 20 matches are 4 mixed doubles, Women's 1 v 2 reverse singles,
Women's 3 v 4 reverse singles, Men's 1 v 2 reverse singles & Men's 3 v 4
reverse singles.
- Each match is two games. The winner of both games receives 1 point for
the match. The loser or 1-all draw receives 0 points for the match.

Now to answer specifically answer Martin's points/questions.

Western Australia and South Australia was 6-5. Looking closer it turns out
that the score was really 10-9, but the nine tied rubbers were ignored.

Yes the tied rubbers are effectively ignored. The so called "real score"
has to add to 20 so is 10.5-9.5.

I'm hoping for a 0-0 tomorrow.

Certainly is possible and I look forward to seeing it one day.

Then I saw the scores were to 7 points, not 26. Either the players are all
very slow (it is Australia, after all) or they are playing Golf Croquet.
Who knows, or cares to say?

And the need for that dig was what? The winning score of every game is 7 so
it's reasonable to assume its Golf Croquet.

Also interesting to see that a tie on matches is decided by games, which
will still be a tie.

This is incorrect. At time of writing NSW & SA have won 2 tests with 28
matches. However NSW has 88 over SA 86. Full count back details are:

13.The winner of the Interstate Shield is the State Team scoring the
greatest number of tests.
1. If tests are equal, the team that wins most matches.
2. If matches are equal, the team that scored the greatest number of games
during the tests.
3. If games are equal, the team scoring the greatest number of net points
in the tests.
4. If the number of net points in the tests are equal, the winner is
decided by the result of the test already played between the teams involved
in the tie.
5. If 4 above was a tie, the trophy is shared.

Full details of the event are at
http://www.croquet-australia.com.au/Governance/Documents/Tournament_Related/TRegs%20as%20at%2021%20August.pdf
.

Finally, to be clear, I had nothing to do with the format of this event.
I'm just the owner/programmer of croquetscores.com.

Tim

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Martin Murray
<martin.murray@bristol.ac.uk>wrote:

A very interesting web-site. I looked at the results, and couldn't
understand how Victoria could beat Tasmania 19-0, when the score between
Western Australia and South Australia was 6-5. Looking closer it turns out
that the score was really 10-9, but the nine tied rubbers were ignored. I'm
hoping for a 0-0 tomorrow.

Then I saw the scores were to 7 points, not 26. Either the players are all
very slow (it is Australia, after all) or they are playing Golf Croquet.
Who knows, or cares to say?

Also interesting to see that a tie on matches is decided by games, which
will still be a tie.

Martin Murray

On 01/09/2012 14:02, Tim Murphy wrote:

Approximately 9 hours from now the final day of the Australian WCF
Shield begins. It could be a very interesting day.

If the tests fall the following way then there will be a 5 way tie on 3
tests each:

* New South Wales beat Victoria
* South Australia beat Queensland
* Western Australia beat Tasmania

Tie breakers in order are: Matches, Games & Hoops. Victoria's 19-0 win
today against Tasmania could prove the difference.

Full details can be found at
http://www.croquetscores.com/**tournaments/34<;http://www.croquetscores.com/tournaments/34>;.
This evening the site has
seen two major face lifts to improve WCF Shield readability. The latest
update is a summary table of test results.