Topics

Club Financial Accounts

Helen Coventry <hjcoventry@...>

Hello,

I am on the committee of the Southern Highlands Croquet Club and am seeking information on how other Clubs record their finances and membership lists.

We are currently using Excel and as our membership is increasing the Committee is considering converting to a package such as MYOB.

I would appreciate any information, guidance on systems currently in use at your Club as to what might be an appropriate option.

All assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Helen Coventry

Pam Hamory

Thank you Helen for your enquiry. Being a sub club for the Moruya Bowling and Recreation we hand in our green fees and the parent club handles all the other details. Good luck with your search.
Best wishes
Pam

On 14/07/2018, at 9:45 AM, Helen Coventry wrote:

Hello,
I am on the committee of the Southern Highlands Croquet Club and am seeking information on how other Clubs record their finances and membership lists.

We are currently using Excel and as our membership is increasing the Committee is considering converting to a package such as MYOB.

I would appreciate any information, guidance on systems currently in use at your Club as to what might be an appropriate option.

All assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
Helen Coventry

Helen

I don't feel qualified to recommend wether your club should or shouldn't move from excel. However, if you do move to an accounting package like MYOB then I recommend you use a package that provides internet access and hosting.

The advantages being:

1) your data is automatically backed up

2) there is no software to install or update

3) 1 or more nominated members can access the data

MYOB has internet facilities.

I've heard good things about Xero for accounting. I don't know if it has membership capabilities or not.

On Sat, 14 Jul. 2018, 09:45 Helen Coventry, <hjcoventry@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am on the committee of the Southern Highlands Croquet Club and am seeking information on how other Clubs record their finances and membership lists.

We are currently using Excel and as our membership is increasing the Committee is considering converting to a package such as MYOB.

I would appreciate any information, guidance on systems currently in use at your Club as to what might be an appropriate option.

All assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Helen Coventry

Nick Chapman

Helen,

If you are going down the path of using an accounting system, I would strongly recommend a product called Xero. It is cloud based so easily accessible by those who need to access it (including auditors / accountants who can just log in remotely) and is easy to use.

Happy to talk you through it is if you are interested in further discussion.

Nick.

On 14 Jul 2018, at 9:45 am, Helen Coventry <hjcoventry@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am on the committee of the Southern Highlands Croquet Club and am seeking information on how other Clubs record their finances and membership lists.

We are currently using Excel and as our membership is increasing the Committee is considering converting to a package such as MYOB.

I would appreciate any information, guidance on systems currently in use at your Club as to what might be an appropriate option.

All assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Helen Coventry

Wal Mills

Hello Helen,

It was only 8 years ago at Maitland that finances was paper based. I took over as treasurer and used excel with then 80 members, we now have 78 members with the treasurer still using Excel. I haven't used MYOB but I myself wouldn't think of using it for a club your size unless someone can demonstrate the benefits.

It is really a matter of how competent your treasurer/secretary is with either method.
Whether you want to save to the cloud or back up on your own computer.

Maybe you can ask Steve Thornton (secretary@...) to send an email to all clubs asking who uses MYOB.

Regards
Wal

On 14/07/2018 9:45 AM, Helen Coventry wrote:

Hello,

I am on the committee of the Southern Highlands Croquet Club and am seeking information on how other Clubs record their finances and membership lists.

We are currently using Excel and as our membership is increasing the Committee is considering converting to a package such as MYOB.

I would appreciate any information, guidance on systems currently in use at your Club as to what might be an appropriate option.

All assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Helen Coventry

Kaye Martin

 Helen, I have used MYOB extensively in the past and agree with a previous opinion that it would not be suitable for a croquet club.

I would recommend Cashflow Manager (cashflow-manager.com.au) which I have also used for many years and am currently doing so, though not for croquet.....yet.

It is extremely user friendly, the data input page looks just like an excel spreadsheet, the reports simple and useful.

Price will no doubt be a consideration. This is $22 p/month unlimited transactions and includes telephone support.  It does not include wages.

I am not familiar with Xero so have no opinion on the programme itself, but it is $30 p/m.

Hope this helps rather than confuses
Regards
Kaye Martin