Topics

This e-mail list

Hi CNSW players,

Thanks to all who responded to the suggestions that we transfer this list from Yahoo Groups to Groups.io  Since no one seemed to be against the transfer I will take it to the next stage.

I have set up a new cnswplayers list on groups.io but have not transferred the membership yet.   We will probably refine things a bit as we go along but, initially, the intention is to leave access to the group fairly open which will make it easier for people to subscribe.  As with the Yahoo Groups list the new groups.io list has a web site which provides some information on the group and some basic rules of what it can be used for.  You can check out this web site at: https://groups.io/g/cnswplayers  (Brenda is not happy with the header banner and so it will improved.)

This web site allows players to join the group simply by clicking on 'Join this Group' and entering their e-mail address. The system will then send you an e-mail to confirm that the e-mail address is correct and, once you confirm it, your are subscribed.  You use you usual e-mail address and don't have to create any special address.

During the coming week I will transfer all the subscriptions, and messages from the Yahoo groups to Groups.io  The transfer will not remove the Yahoo group and so both will be available initially and, assuming everyone is happy with the new system, I can then remove the Yahoo Group list.

As I have set up the list I am listed as the 'Owner' but it can/should have more than one owner and moderator and so if anyone would like to help manage the group (it's pretty easy) then, once everyone is subscribed, I will promote them.

In the meantime any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Roger

Jim Hicks

Great step forward, Roger.!   Cheers, Jim.

On 08/05/2016, at 10:18 AM, Roger Evans rfkevans@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

[...]

Mary Gibson

Roger
Great work and thank you for your interest and execution.
Mary Gibson
Mosman

[...]

Only question is that in group policies, theirs is no control over membership, is this a good idea?

Site look good and quicker than yahoo

Good move

Rik

Hi Rik,

I have left it open to start with and if there are any 'undesirables' they can be removed.� We can, however, restrict it so that new applications will require approval.� This can be done later if we have a problem but it will make it slightly more difficult to join which is why I though it best to leave it unrestricted in the early stage.

Cheers

Roger

On 8/05/2016 7:05 PM, Rik Mills amills48@... [cnswplayers] wrote:
�

Only question is that in group policies, theirs is no control over membership, is this a good idea?

Site look good and quicker than yahoo

Good move

Rik

Roberta Flint

Agree being as open an inclusive as possible to start with and only filtering if an issue emerges.
The one protocol I would suggest is people sign their name to any comment or message. Sometimes it is hard to figure out who has said what, or will the new platform remedy this in some way?
Roberta

Sent from my iPad

On 8 May 2016, at 7:34 PM, Roger Evans rfkevans@... [cnswplayers] <cnswplayers@...> wrote:

Hi Rik,

I have left it open to start with and if there are any 'undesirables' they can be removed.  We can, however, restrict it so that new applications will require approval.  This can be done later if we have a problem but it will make it slightly more difficult to join which is why I though it best to leave it unrestricted in the early stage.

Cheers

Roger

On 8/05/2016 7:05 PM, Rik Mills amills48@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

Only question is that in group policies, theirs is no control over membership, is this a good idea?

Site look good and quicker than yahoo

Good move

Rik

Alix Verge

Hmmm - maybe. I had surfiechick as a nom-de-net for years on the notts list because I felt I had no street cred and would never had posted if I had had to use my real name. Puzzling for others, yes, but I would otherwise have kept silent. Why do we need to "figure out who has said what"? It is the comment, not the person, we should be assessing as we read. The moderator can decide who oversteps the mark and block postings if appropriate.

Alix (mob)
0400 825 920

AUSTRALIA: RESETTLING BOAT PEOPLE SINCE 1788

[...]

Jan Sage

Couldn’t agree more!
Jan

[...]

​I agree with ​"​It is the comment, not the person, we should be assessing as we read" but we should know who wrote it for two reasons:

  1. Its provides context and that can make reading easier.
  2. Second, but most importantly, adding a "real name" to any internet communication more likely leads to civil communication. Anonymous communication more likely leads to person(s) removing any social filters from their conversations.

Jan Sage

Then there are occasions where ‘if you can’t fight the argument, fight the person’ occurs.
Jan

Sent: Monday, May 9, 2016 11:07 AM

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 4:34 PM, 'Jan Sage' myoora803@... [cnswplayers] <cnswplayers@...> wrote:
‘if you can’t fight the argument, fight the person’

​Can still happen without knowing who the person is.​

--
Tim Murphy

Need a website and/or blog that's easy to create and update? Check out Impressive Mark.