From: "Roberta roberta_flint@... [cnswplayers]"
Date:21/03/2016 9:05 PM (GMT+10:00)
To: cnswplayers@...
Subject: Re: [cnswplayers] Golf Croquet

Ahhh!
Thanks Brenda

Cheers

Roberta

On 21 Mar 2016, at 9:00 pm, Brenda brenda@... [cnswplayers] <cnswplayers@...> wrote:

Hello Roberta,
When the balls are close, there is a danger of a double tap. If they are touching, it does not matter how they are hit. The situation usually arises when a ball is partway through a hoop and an opponents ball is on the other side ready to knock it out!
Brenda

Sent from my iPad

On 21 Mar 2016, at 18:58, Roberta roberta_flint@... [cnswplayers] <cnswplayers@...> wrote:

Why does having the balls touch resolve this?

Cheers

Roberta

On 21 Mar 2016, at 5:37 pm, 'Jan Sage' myoora803@... [cnswplayers] <cnswplayers@...> wrote:

Hi Brenda,

When people make such a claim – eg limit of turns with close but non-touching balls – I ask them to show me where it is written in the Rules or Tournament Regulations. If it is not written, it does not apply. Over time I have been confronted by a number of quaint ideas, such as “the mallet must not touch your clothing” or “ the ball may only be placed in C4, at the beginning of the game, with your hand.”

Jan Sage

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:17 PM

Thanks, Tony.
A few people have said there is a limit with the non-touching balls so it is good to know the right answer!! It can be a very interesting part of the game!
Brenda

Sent from my iPad

On 21 Mar 2016, at 13:39, Tony Hall tony.hall@... [cnswplayers] <cnswplayers@...> wrote:

Dear Brenda,

1.  No.
2.  I am not aware of any, except that the games should be competitive, not social.

Best Regards,

Tony

Sent from my iPad

On 21 Mar 2016, at 11:11 am, Brenda Evans brenda@... [cnswplayers] <cnswplayers@...> wrote:

Hello Golf Croquet Players
I have two situations for which I think we need clarification :

1.     In a case where 2 balls are close (in the hoop) but not touching, is there a limit to the number of turns taken until one player finally gets the balls to touch and thus resolve the conflict?

2.    Are there any restrictions that apply to the use of handicap cards for time-limited games?
Thank you, in anticipation
Brenda Evans
Golf Croquet Captain
Jamberoo Croquet CLub Inc

Brenda <brenda@...>

Hi Alix,
I can't see why it would not be legal. Looks like a pretty smart move to me!
Brenda

Sent from my iPad

On 21 Mar 2016, at 21:57, alix verge alixverge@... [cnswplayers] <cnswplayers@...> wrote:

Hmmm - touching balls - can anyone give me a definite answer to this rare (but exciting) scenario .....

If my red is jawsed in hoop 1 but yellow (the striker) is in contact with blue and I do a roll which sends blue off the court by corner 3 (with no hope of clearing red) and yellow to hoop 2 will yellow be legal after red runs the hoop? Has starting in contact fulfilled the requirement of coming off an opponent's ball?

Alix (mob)
0400 825 920

AUSTRALIA: RESETTLING BOAT PEOPLE SINCE 1788

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:17 PM

[...]

Official Rulings on the 2007 Edition of the WCF Golf Croquet Rules (GCOR2011) January 2011
10.2 Ruling
The exemption under Rule 10(b)(3) does not result from a ball being played away from an opponent ball with which it was in contact.

Jan Sage

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:17 PM

[...]

Alix Verge

Bummer ..... THWARTED.

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:17 PM

[...]

Tony Hall

But 10(b)(3) does apply if the stroke which sent the Blue ball to corner 3 was a roll - which it must have been.

Cheers, Tony

At 09:26 AM 22/03/2016, alix verge alixverge@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

Bummer ..... THWARTED.

Alix (mob)
0400 825 920

AUSTRALIA: RESETTLING BOAT PEOPLE SINCE 1788

When the balls are close, there is a danger of a double tap. If they are touching, it does not matter how they are hit. The situation usually arises when a ball is partway through a hoop and an opponents ball is on the other side ready to knock it out!
Brenda

Sent from my iPad

On 21 Mar 2016, at 18:58, Roberta roberta_flint@... [cnswplayers] < cnswplayers@...> wrote:

Why does having the balls touch resolve this?

Cheers

Roberta

On 21 Mar 2016, at 5:37 pm, 'Jan Sage' myoora803@... [cnswplayers] < cnswplayers@...> wrote:

Hi Brenda,

When people make such a claim – eg limit of turns with close bbut non-touching balls – I ask them to show me where it is written iin the Rules or Tournament Regulations. If it is not written, it does not apply. Over time I have been confronted by a number of quaint ideas, such as “the mallet must not touch your clothingâ€� or “ the ball may only be placed in C4, at the beginning of the game, with your hand.â€�

Jan Sage

[...]

Hi Tony,
Why?
Brenda

Sent from my iPad

[...]

When people make such a claim – eg limit of turns with close bbut non-touching balls – I ask them to show me where it is written iin the Rules or Tournament Regulations. If it is not written, it does not apply. Over time I have been confronted by a number of quaint ideas, such as “the mallet must not touch your clothing” or “ the ball may only be placed in C4, at the beginning of the game, with your hand.”

Jan Sage

<mailto:roberta_flint@...>roberta_flint@...

<mailto:myoora803@...>myoora803@...

<mailto:tony.hall@...>tony.hall@...
[...]

The only way I can play what amounts to a croquet
stroke from near hoop 1 and send a touching ball
out near corner 3 while sending my own striker's ball to hoop 2 is with a roll. It is physically
impossible to do that with a take-off, whether that is thin or thick.

Cheers,

Tony

<mailto:alixverge@...>alixverge@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

[...]

Brenda Evans <brenda@...>

Hi Tony,
I understand that (although a lot of "ordinary" GC players can't do a roll), but regardless of where blue ends up, provided red runs hoop 1 in its next shot, is yellow offside?
Brenda

On 22/03/2016 3:36 PM, Tony Hall tony.hall@... [cnswplayers] wrote:
�

The only way I can play what amounts to a croquet
stroke from near hoop 1 and send a touching ball
out near corner 3 while sending my own striker's
ball to hoop 2 is with a roll. It is physically
impossible to do that with a take-off, whether that is thin or thick.

Cheers,

Tony

At 12:57 PM 22/03/2016, you wrote:

>Hi Tony,
>Why?
>Brenda
>
>Sent from my iPad
>
>On 22 Mar 2016, at 11:05, Tony Hall
>tony.hall@...
>[cnswplayers]
><cnswplayers@...> wrote:
>

>>But 10(b)(3) does apply if the stroke which
>>sent the Blue ball to corner 3 was a roll - which it must have been.
>>
>>Cheers, Tony
>>
>>At 09:26 AM 22/03/2016, alix verge
>>alixverge@... [cnswplayers] wrote:
>>>

>>>Bummer ..... THWARTED.
>>>

>>>Alix (mob)
>>>0400 825 920
>>>
>>>AUSTRALIA: RESETTLING BOAT PEOPLE SINCE 1788

Dear brenda,

No.

Tony