From: cnswpla= yers@... [mailto:cnswplayers@...]
Sent= : Monday, 9 February 2015 5:35 PM
To: cnswplayers@yahoogroups= .com.au
Subject: [cnswplayers] Tertiary Balls

Hello All,
At Jamberoo, while one lawn has been out of servi= ce for renovation, it has been necessary to use the tertiary balls so that = players are not sitting around waiting to play.
The question is - well, = actually 2 questions :

What are the correct names for t= he colours and in which order should they be played?

I have found  = porridge, peach, slate and aubergine for Barlow balls
but ours are Dawso= n balls.

I have also found

    Turquoise & Burgundy v Orange & Gra= y
  • Lilac, Turquoise= , Orange and Purple
  • <= span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black= '>Lemonade, Orangeade, Catfood and Dogfood

Before everyone is totally confused, I think it's time to make a decisi= on so would be very grateful for some input here before I put an article in= our club newsletter.
Thanks, in advance!
Brenda Evans

<= br>

------=_Nex

Mary Gibson

Dear Brenda
To add to the confusion, Mosman has tertiary balls and they are referred to as:

Turquoise and Magenta  v  Gold and Silver.

Here's hoping you play the right ball.
Cheers
Mary Gibson

On 09/02/2015, at 5:40 PM, 'Alan Honey' atasteofhoney@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

I  always thought it was Orange and grey and purple and aqua but cat food and dog food made me laugh!

Cheers

Alan

At Jamberoo, while one lawn has been out of service for renovation, it has been necessary to use the tertiary balls so that players are not sitting around waiting to play.
The question is - well, actually 2 questions :

What are the correct names for the colours and in which order should they be played?

I have found  porridge, peach, slate and aubergine for Barlow balls
but ours are Dawson balls.

I have also found

  • Turquoise & Burgundy v Orange & Gray
  • Lilac, Turquoise, Orange and Purple
  • Lemonade, Orangeade, Catfood and Dogfood

Before everyone is totally confused, I think it's time to make a decision so would be very grateful for some input here before I put an article in our club newsletter.
Thanks, in advance!
Brenda Evans

Brenda Evans <brenda@...>

Hi Alan,
Thanks, but would you play in that order for GC and those pairs for AC?
The cat food etc provides a bit of light relief!
Brenda

On 9/02/2015 5:40 PM, 'Alan Honey' atasteofhoney@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

[...]

Hi Mary,
Thank you. We might have to take a vote on this, I think!!
Brenda

On 9/02/2015 5:44 PM, Gibson Maria mpagibson@... [cnswplayers] wrote:
�

[...]

Jim Hicks

   Hullo Brenda and all,
The problem has arisen because when tertiary balls were first introduced, they came with Orange and Grey, v two shades of purple (say burgundy and mauve)
After a few years, the paler one, mauve (or lilac), was discontinued and a new greenish colour, aqua replaced it.
So now it is definitely Orange & Gray v Burgundy & Aqua, and the correct sequence would be:  Aqua (=Blue), Orange (=Red), Burgundy (=Black) and Gray (=Yellow)
I accept that there's not a lot of logic here, and not all clubs follow that sequence, however whenever you are compelled to triple bank, it does revert to "fun" games,
so if "Catfood and Dogfood" please you, then just enjoy it.
Cheers,
Jim Hicks.

[...]

Margaret Sawers

Hello croquet friends
We have sometimes used tertiary balls and I was told the sequence for GC is Turquoise, Orange Burgundy Grey(yuk) ( TOBY)
Margaret Sawers

Sent: Monday, February 9, 2015 5:35 PM

[...]

Hi Jim, Margaret, Mary, Alan and All,
Thank you for your responses to my questions! It has been a very interesting exercise and it seems that whatever we like to call the colours the pairs are grey and orange against the other two, playing in the order set out by Jim! This afternoon I spoke to June Dawson in the hope that she might have given me the official names (which she could not remember) but indeed clarified the pairing!
No doubt there'll be confusion aplenty when 12 people are on the lawn together trying to work out which ball to hit and where they are going next!!
Thanks again
Brenda Evans

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

John Eddes

Brenda & others.

I agree with Jim Hicks history below and can take it back one step further just to support the presently used pairings.

As far as I am aware the tertiary colours were introduced at least in NSW by Harry Olsen in the early eighties. He simply painted over existing balls with silver (now grey), gold (now orange) which were a pair, together with a purple and a green colour (the exact colours are not retained in my memory bank) which were the other pair. Back then the 'order' was not relevant as they were mainly used for AC.�

The order suggested by Jim seems OK.

John Eddes

On 9/02/2015 6:31 PM, Jim Hicks jimhicks@... [cnswplayers] wrote:
�

[...]

Alix Verge

Martin Prins always insisted that teal and orange go together ... duck a l'orange.

To: cnswplayers@...

At Jamberoo, while one lawn has been out of service for renovation, it has been necessary to use the tertiary balls so that players are not sitting around waiting to play.
The question is - well, actually 2 questions :

What are the correct names for the colours and in which order should they be played?

I have found  porridge, peach, slate and aubergine for Barlow balls
but ours are Dawson balls.

I have also found

  • Turquoise & Burgundy v Orange & Gray
  • Lilac, Turquoise, Orange and Purple
  • Lemonade, Orangeade, Catfood and Dogfood

Before everyone is totally confused, I think it's time to make a decision so would be very grateful for some input here before I put an article in our club newsletter.
Thanks, in advance!
Brenda Evans

Brenda Evans <brenda@...>

Thanks John & Alix for your contributions. This has been an interesting exercise - and the sort of thing that this mailing list should be about!
I seem to recall that Peter Olsen started the Sutherland Club, John. Same family?
Brenda

�

To: cnswplayers@...

At Jamberoo, while one lawn has been out of service for renovation, it has been necessary to use the tertiary balls so that players are not sitting around waiting to play.
The question is - well, actually 2 questions :

What are the correct names for the colours and in which order should they be played?

I have found� porridge, peach, slate and aubergine for Barlow balls
but ours are Dawson balls.

I have also found

  • Turquoise & Burgundy v Orange & Gray
  • Lilac, Turquoise, Orange and Purple
  • Lemonade, Orangeade, Catfood and Dogfood

Before everyone is totally confused, I think it's time to make a decision so would be very grateful for some input here before I put an article in our club newsletter.
Thanks, in advance!
Brenda Evans

Brenda Evans <brenda@...>

Hi All,
Found on Google:
Mars, the owner of the popular cat food Whiskas had used its Whiskas Purple colour on its cat food packaging and marketing materials since 2000. In November 2002, Mars applied for trade mark protection for its Whiskas Purple.
I suspect this is probably the basis for the "Cat Food" label for one of the balls. "Dog Food" would have been a logical name for the partner ball.
Just thought you'd like to know!

To: cnswplayers@...