From: cnswplayers@...
[mailto:cnswplayers@...] On Behalf Of Roger Evans
Sent: Wednesday, 14 March 2012 6:02 PM
To: cnswplayers@...
Subject: Re: [cnswplayers] Hoop Setting - an idiots guide?

Hi Peter,

We have 3 hole positions for each of our hoops and we use a tapered
plug in the outside hole that is not being used. Each month (or more
frequently if a bad rabbit run occurs) we change the hoops (and center
peg) to the opposite position. We don't have the luxury (as some clubs
do) of shifting the whole lawn by half a meter or so but by changing
the hoop position on a regular basis, we can reduce the likelihood of a
rabbit runs occurring - at least during the growing season. When we
change the hoop positions we also roll the positions with a manual
roller to flatten the hill which would otherwise build up.

Our initial two lawns also have loamy soil although, regular top
dressing with sandy soil, means that the soil near the surface is
starting to become less loamy - but the hoops still become loose after
a while and we also have to use grass clippings and/or soil to tighten
them up. I have heard that the Egyptians use hoops which have carrots
about half a metre long and perhaps we need to try some of these :-)

Our biggest problem with rabbit runs occurs in winter when the grass is
dormant and so cannot recover even when the hoops are changed over.
Max's suggestion of replacing a circle of grass with a fresh circle is
a good one and I know that Phil Sage (Taree) uses this technique to
good
effect. Phil made his own circle cutter but does anyone know whether
commercial ones are available?

Regards
Roger
Jamberoo CC

On 14/03/2012 12:57, Peter Freer wrote:

Canberra has somewhat loamy soil, so not only do hoops loosen up
during play and rabbit runs develop but we can eventually end up with
quite large caverns underneath the hoop. If not fixed, they reach
right across between the carrot holes, and the lawn surface between
the hoop legs starts flexing under any pressure!

Fixing the latter requires adding horrifying large amounts of grass
clippings, soil and/or spanish moss - while being careful not to
create hilling.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it caused by careless digging to
tighten hoops?

Does anyone have an "idiots guide" to how to correctly adjust hoop
widths, preferably with (very) simple diagrams? I was about to do
one,
but realised I am probably reinventing the wheel.

Regards, peter

Canberra Croquet Club

0412 178 254

Yahoo!7 Groups Links