Re: Hoop Setting - an idiots guide?

Max Murray

Yes commercial '"plug " cutters are available in number of different sizes from any good turf supplies business. If you want names etc. Let me know and I will speak to our greenskeeper but please appreciate that his knowledge will most likely be limited to NSW.

Regards
Max M

Sent from my iPad

On 14/03/2012, at 6:02 PM, Roger Evans <@revoeleco1> wrote:

Hi Peter,

We have 3 hole positions for each of our hoops and we use a tapered plug
in the outside hole that is not being used. Each month (or more
frequently if a bad rabbit run occurs) we change the hoops (and center
peg) to the opposite position. We don't have the luxury (as some clubs
do) of shifting the whole lawn by half a meter or so but by changing the
hoop position on a regular basis, we can reduce the likelihood of a
rabbit runs occurring - at least during the growing season. When we
change the hoop positions we also roll the positions with a manual
roller to flatten the hill which would otherwise build up.

Our initial two lawns also have loamy soil although, regular top
dressing with sandy soil, means that the soil near the surface is
starting to become less loamy - but the hoops still become loose after a
while and we also have to use grass clippings and/or soil to tighten
them up. I have heard that the Egyptians use hoops which have carrots
about half a metre long and perhaps we need to try some of these :-)

Our biggest problem with rabbit runs occurs in winter when the grass is
dormant and so cannot recover even when the hoops are changed over.
Max's suggestion of replacing a circle of grass with a fresh circle is a
good one and I know that Phil Sage (Taree) uses this technique to good
effect. Phil made his own circle cutter but does anyone know whether
commercial ones are available?

Regards
Roger
Jamberoo CC

On 14/03/2012 12:57, Peter Freer wrote:

Canberra has somewhat loamy soil, so not only do hoops loosen up
during play
and rabbit runs develop but we can eventually end up with quite large
caverns underneath the hoop. If not fixed, they reach right across between
the carrot holes, and the lawn surface between the hoop legs starts
flexing
under any pressure!

Fixing the latter requires adding horrifying large amounts of grass
clippings, soil and/or spanish moss - while being careful not to create
hilling.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it caused by careless digging to
tighten hoops?

Does anyone have an "idiots guide" to how to correctly adjust hoop widths,
preferably with (very) simple diagrams? I was about to do one, but
realised
I am probably reinventing the wheel.

Regards, peter

Canberra Croquet Club