Re: Laser leveling

Wal Mills

Thanks Roger,

I am familiar with lasers having used them on soccer and rugby league grounds with both manual staffs and attached to graders. In their case grades 0.5% and above were used but I was curious with flatter slopes and attached to tractors. My concern is the shorter blades with accuracy and more so in your case as there is only one laser receiver attached to the tractor. Secondly the laser/tractor accuracy, with many instruments in the range 1 to 4mm in 20 metre plus the response of the tractor blade, 0.2% sounds very interesting (0.04mm in 20 metres).

I assume the 18mm maximum depth is more for the grass to recover than the laser issue?

On another note our contractor has a scarifier attachment to the tractor which picks up the thatch and dumps it on canvas to put in trailers. There is also an attachment to spread topsoil.
Also the leveller is attached to our mower to drag around. Very little manual work.

Thanks for the response and videos.

Wal

On 8/12/2017 4:21 PM, Roger Evans wrote:
Hi Wal, Roberta and all

An (amateur) video of laser leveling of the Jamberoo CC lawn 1 in January 2015 can be seen at: https://vimeo.com/246384287 (just under 2 minutes long).

Unfortunately when the lawns were constructed they had a slope of about 0.6% (6 mm per metre) from east to west as well as a few hills and hollows so the programme has been to gradually minimise the slope and get rid of the hills and hollows by laser leveling every couple of years.  Commencing in 2010 we have laser leveled the No.1 lawn 4 times and have successfully removed the hills and valleys and reduced the slope to about 0.5% east to west (ie 5 mm in a metre).  Of course 5 mm in a metre equates to about 128 mm fall across the width of the lawn and, because there is a limit on the maximum thickness of top dressing of about 18 mm per leveling operation, it will take many years of leveling before the level can be reduced to below 0.2% (ie just enough for drainage.)

Cheers

Roger