Turf Management

Hi Croquet Greenkeepers,

A couple of our colleague golf club greenkeepers have suggested we apply a growth regulator called Primo Maxx to our lawns during the summer growing season. According to the manufacturer, (Syngenta) Primo Maxx slows vertical shoot growth while lateral and below ground growth is enhanced. The benefits claimed are a denser, healthier turf that is better able to withstand a variety of stresses including heat, drought, diseases and traffic. It almost sounds too good to be true. See: http://www.greencastonline.com/product/primo-maxx-plant-growth-regulator/overview/turf

If the claimed benefits are achieved for a croquet lawn the use of Primo Maxx should mean less frequent mowing or, at least, the line marking should last longer. It also should reduce lawn wear, particular through the hoops (where we tend to get rabbit runs) and at the GC starting quadrant.

At Jamberoo we intend to give this product a try but we would be interested in whether any other clubs have used it and, if so, have the claimed benefits been achieved in practice on a croquet lawn?

Cheers

Roger Evans

Jamberoo Croquet Club