Re: New handicaps for GC

Hi Jan,

I agree with you.  I have a mathematical background but I cannot see a lot of logic in this new system.  Also, when introducing a new system it would be nice if there was some better explanation of why it was changed.  eg if it was thought to be a good idea for players on handicaps of10 and greater not to lose index points when they lost a game, why has this been changed?  Has there been some analysis to determine that the previous system was not working?  If so, how about giving us an explanation.

One of my beefs with the handicap system is that, in terms of index points won or lost, there is no differentiation between a 7/6 win and a 7/1 or 7/0 win.  In my experience a 7/6 win or lose means that the two players are virtually equal and so shouldn't win or lose as many index points as they would with a 7/1 or 7/0 win.  It would not be difficult to include the winning margin (eg net points) into the index point calculation but I don't know whether this has been considered.

Any system can be improved and, although, as Peter(s) indicate, we will have to support this new system, I doesn't seem to be a 'perfect' system and so we should be able to suggest improvements.  I intend to be one of those who continues to ask 'silly' questions.

Cheers

Roger Evans

On 13/01/2017 6:48 AM, Jan Sage wrote:
I’m not sure we should blindly follow a SYSTEM that could be improved.
“The only silly question is the one that you do not ask”.
Jan Sage

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 12:22 AM
Subject: Re: [cnswplayers] New handicaps for GC

As far as I can see Peter, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. I assume the CNSW tournament committee will advise us of the make-up of the divisions. Personally I liked the idea of players above 10 not losing points in play but its not in the rules so there it goes.
Not being the world's most advanced mathematician, I assume the "two steps" involved from 12 up has something to do with making the whole range sound great but not doing much at all. While I'm at it why have the minus numbers ? Surely these clever people who devised the scheme, could have made the scale suit 0 to 20 properly with all numerals in that range included. There ! I've said it and most probably put my big foot right in the middle of where it should not be. I dare say I am not the only one thinking that.  THE MAIN THING IS THAT WE HAVE A SYSTEM and we need to support it fully. So we all will need to just shrug off those silly questions and prepare to adopt it fully.
Peter Smith
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: New handicaps for GC
Date: Mon, January 09, 2017 10:27 am
To: <cnswplayers@groups.io>
Cc: <national.handicapper@...>,
<handicaps@...>

Brenda et al – my reading of the revised Rule 16 that will apply from 3 April 2017 (see: https://croquet-australia.com.au/disciplines/golf-croquet/resources/gc-rule16-australian-version.pdf ) is that:
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->there are no GC handicaps of 13, 15, 17 or 19 – the steps below 12 are in multiples of 2, so you go from 12 to 14, and 14 to 16 (see the revised trigger points on p4);
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->everyone will now gain or lose points, including at either end of the range (which explains how someone might drop to 14 or 16); and
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·         <!--[endif]-->I gather that CNSW is likely to stick to the 3 existing GC Divisions ie Div 1 would now be -3 to 4; Div 2 stays 5 to 8; and Div 3 is 9 or higher (I suggest that anyone on more than GC 12 shouldn’t be playing GC Pennants until their handicap improves).  No doubt CNSW will confirm this before the 2017 GC Pennants entry closes…

Regards, peter

Peter Freer
Canberra CC
0412 178 254

Join cnswplayers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.