Re: New handicaps for GC

Hello people out there in croquet land,

Just to refresh the message I sent a couple of days ago and add other points:
  • CNSW will issue an information bulletin within a couple of days,
  • The ACA is introducing a system which is successful in the UK and will become the worldwide norm.
  • The levels below 12 are even only. This is consistent with AC handicapping.
  • The vast majority of players will see no handicap change.
  • There are very few Australian players who will move beyond -1.
  • Peter Freer's commentary on Division is accurate.
  • As is currently the case, handicap changes will continue to occur once a trigger points has been reached.
  • The current system of no change below a handicap of 10 or index of 100 is being withdrawn by the ACA.
  • CNSW has advised members that from 31st October 2016, if a member has more than 1 handicap card, then CNSW will only recognise the handicap card showing the lowest handicap.
We've been assured that the ACA will provide resource material and new handicap cards in plenty of time.

Regards
Steve Thornton

On 10 January 2017 at 18:06, Mary Gibson <mpagibson@...> wrote:
Peter et al

Why the complicated Divisions with minuses.  Why can't we extend ranges from 1 (without having to go into minus mode).  We should have 4 divisions - 1 to 16.  The bottom division (13-16) should be encouraged to experience a competition (we could hold it at Mosman as we have a lot of new members).

Regards

Mary Gibson
Secretary
 Mosman

On 09/01/2017, at 9:27 PM, Peter Freer wrote:

Brenda et al – my reading of the revised Rule 16 that will apply from 3 April 2017 (see: https://croquet-australia.com.au/disciplines/golf-croquet/resources/gc-rule16-australian-version.pdf ) is that:
·         there are no GC handicaps of 13, 15, 17 or 19 – the steps below 12 are in multiples of 2, so you go from 12 to 14, and 14 to 16 (see the revised trigger points on p4);
·         everyone will now gain or lose points, including at either end of the range (which explains how someone might drop to 14 or 16); and
·         I gather that CNSW is likely to stick to the 3 existing GC Divisions ie Div 1 would now be -3 to 4; Div 2 stays 5 to 8; and Div 3 is 9 or higher (I suggest that anyone on more than GC 12 shouldn’t be playing GC Pennants until their handicap improves).  No doubt CNSW will confirm this before the 2017 GC Pennants entry closes…

Regards, peter

Peter Freer
Canberra CC