Re: New handicaps for GC

Len McCallum

Steve thanks for your letter.
i agree with what  you say but t feel the CNSW
get it all ok for all of us to play .

On Saturday, 7 January 2017, 10:10, Brenda Evans <Brenda@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

Thank you. I agree that ACA should provide the answers but I also think that CNSW should be asking the questions and chasing ACA for answers.
However, of particular concern at the moment is the CNSW pennants series for which the closing date is advertised as 1st March, with div 2 and 3 scheduled to commence on 13th March and finals after the 3rd April introduction of the new rules.

Therefore, we need, as a matter of urgency, answers to the following:
  • What are the handicap ranges for the new divisions and how many divisions will there be?
  • In January 2014,  a rule was introduced, whereby players on handicaps of 10, 11 and 12 would not lose index points after losing a game. There is no indication whether this rule will continue or be rescinded.
Will there be a meeting of the CNSW Board during January?  I note that a meeting of the ACA Board is scheduled for 19 January.

I look forward to a speedy response from our governing bodies, so that Golf Croquet players may plan the year ahead with confidence, knowing that the rule changes for handicaps have been clarified and justified.

Best wishes
Brenda Evans

On 31/12/2016 10:08 AM, Steve Thornton wrote:
Brenda,

As it is the ACA who are "in charge" of "and responsible for" the introduction of the new system. The (good) questions you have asked are probably being asked by other states and should be answered directly by the ACA. The worse thing that could happen is that CNSW or any other state association issues any form of statement or ruling and gets it wrong. FYI there were no real problems when it was introduced in the UK (I was there when it was both in 2015 when it was being trialled in 2016 shortly after it was introduced).

Regards
Steve Thornton
CNSW

On 30 December 2016 at 20:46, Jimbo <jimbo.croquet@...> wrote:
Brenda
I would suggest that you email your concerns to the CNSW board as many of the questions require official response.

Jim

On 22 Dec 2016 11:28 PM, "Brenda Evans" <Brenda@...> wrote:
Hello All,

Having read the information (available on the ACA website) defining the new Handicap system for Golf Croquet, I have the following concerns/questions:

1.     With the current system, players on handicaps of 10, 11 and 12 do not lose index points. Will a similar rule apply to the new system? If so, for what handicap range?

2.     Currently there are 3 grades of players -
        division 1 (handicaps 0 to 4)
        division 2 (handicaps 5 to 8)
        division 3 (handicaps 9 to 12)
How many grades will there be in the new system and what will be the handicap ranges?
3.        The CNSW Events page is advertising pennants and championship events  with closing dates prior to the introduction of the new rules, starting before that date and
            continuing after the date (e.g. divisions 2 and 3 pennants) When will the information (mentioned in point 2) be made available?

4.        The instruction for the Setting of Initial Handicaps gives a system to allocate handicaps ranging from 7 to 16. Why, then, are there handicaps of 18 and 20?
            How does one "achieve" a handicap of 18 or 20 ? What happenned to handicaps of 13, 15, 17 and 19?

5.        When will the new handicap cards be available, both physically and on line, for download?

6.        When this system was being trialled in UK, it was stated that handicaps would not change during an event. Why is this not included by ACA? This, in particular,
            would eliminate the situation where, in a match of the best of 3 games, both players reach a trigger point (the winner improving his handicap and the loser moving to a
            poorer handicap) and then the loser of that game wins the next 2 games, thus winning the match. This means that the person who loses the match has
            improved his handicap and the winner of the match has "gone backwards". It is interessting to note the following found on www.croquet.org.uk
Handicap changes do not necessarily become effective immediately. They only become effective at the end of the tournament if it is a CA Calendar Fixture or any other tournament lasting no more than four days. In all other cases handicap changes become effective at the end of the day. If a player's index goes through a trigger point and then goes back through the same trigger point during the tournament or day, their handicap does not change.
I look forward to receiving clarification of these points.

Brenda Evans