Re: List Problems

Hi Alex,

Yes I have considered Google Groups and I manage one group using Google Groups.  I believe that groups.io is better than both Google groups and Yahoo.

Here is a comment from Fletcher on e-mail groups in general:

"But really this story starts even further back, in the Winter of 1989, when in college I was introduced to mailing lists. I was instantly hooked. It was obvious that a mailing list was a great way to communicate with a group of people about a common interest. I started subscribing to lists dedicated to my favorite bands (’80’s Hair Metal, anyone?). I joined a list for a local running club. And, at every company I’ve worked at since graduating, there have been invaluable internal company mailing lists.

But that doesn’t mean that mailing lists can’t improve. And this is where we get back to the unfinished business. Because email groups (the modern version of mailing lists) have stagnated over the past decade. Yahoo Groups and Google Groups both exude the dank air of benign neglect. Google Groups hasn’t been updated in years, and some of Yahoo’s recent changes have actually made Yahoo Groups worse! And yet, millions of people put up with this uncertainty and neglect, because email groups are still one of the best ways to communicate with groups of people. And I have a plan to make them even better."

Recently (4th April) Yahoo groups went down for about 5 days with no explanation.  Those on the moderators list complained loud and long but Yahoo was silent.  Eventually the list came back but with no explanation but there are a lot of complaints about Yahoo from owners and moderators of other Yahoo groups and Yahoo is unresponsive.  There has even been rumors that Yahoo might abandon the groups mailing lists although I haven't been able to confirm whether this is true.

I think that it is probably time for a change.

Regards

Roger

On 6/05/2016 5:49 PM, Tim Murphy tim@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

Roger,

Have you considered Google Groups? https://groups.google.com

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 5:39 PM, alix verge alixverge@... [cnswplayers] <cnswplayers@...> wrote:

It's nice of you to bother asking seeing I have no idea of the problems - and even less of an idea of how to improve things.

What you say sounds really good

Alix (mob)
0400 825 920

AUSTRALIA: RESETTLING BOAT PEOPLE SINCE 1788