Re: Lawn mowing

Alix Verge

sorry Roger, Santa Anna couch cut at 5mm (although I asked for 4)

To: cnswplayers@...
From: cnswplayers@...
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 21:36:23 +1100
Subject: RE: [cnswplayers] Lawn mowing

Hi Roger,

At my club (RSGC) most players come to croquet because they have become too old or infirm to play the other sports on offer and there has been a history of older players sitting on the sidelines enjoying/appreciating the lush green grass of the lawns and so refusing to allow them to be cut shorter. The lawns were cut at grass tennis court length – 6 or 7mm -  and generally played at 7 seconds. I damaged my wrists trying to do rolls and no players developed touch play skills. I had no idea there was a reason other than octogenarian (and nonagenarian) delight at grassy swards.

It took me 7 years to get the groundsmen to cut the lawns lower. It was the same reason – the blades needed to be set lower and the unions prohibited the groundsmen doing this so a mechanic had to be called from the golf course workshop for each change (croq and tennis lawns are mowed every day). We got a new course superintendant who arranged a new mower immediately, lawns now 10-11 seconds, ancient players at the club now developing skilled play.

All players (and we have some very old/infirm) can now get to hoop 2 from 1, or from corner 4 to hoop 1. I am able to do the AC 2-3 split from south of hoop 1. Now that the lawns are shorter and faster we suddenly have a Div 2 pennants team instead of all GC players languishing in the Div 3 squad.

Short grass leads to more skill, more fun, fewer injuries. I vote for a new mower.

Alix